Can you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jetajockey said:
Can you try asking the question again with more content? Crossbreed what?

Crossbreed.... Fish? I don't know how else to ask...

good restraint by jeta on this one, urge to flame rising. also the topic of hybrids has been done to death a quick search will tell u that

christine2012 said:
Why exactly do you want to crossbreed? Just curious.

I just thought about merging two different fish (not sure what fishes) together to make another just out of curiosity and to have a unique fish

the general consensus is that playing god is bad. please search for info on hybrids this had been covered time and time and time again and ends with a mod closing it because people get stupid.

I'm not entirely sure what you'd do with the fry. None of the shops would take them

Samzter said:
I'm not entirely sure what you'd do with the fry. None of the shops would take them

I would keep them cuz its mine...

daveho said:
the general consensus is that playing god is bad. please search for info on hybrids this had been covered time and time and time again and ends with a mod closing it because people get stupid.

I am on this site for info... That is the whole point in having this... To get info from other people...

caveman0777 said:
I would keep them cuz its mine...

All of them?! Some fish can produce hundreds of babies!! You would have to get rif of some and you would need at least depending on fry probably about 3 tanks! Most babies will end up deformed. Others will be dull in colouring and most will die. Plus it could harm the parents.

My suggestion is just to do some research. There's tons of hybrids and hybrid possibilities out there. If your goal is something unique or interesting there are hundreds of species that are uncommon or little known in aquaria including many native ones.

If you do decide to try hybridizing, do your homework and manage the fry responsibly.

Samzter said:
All of them?! Some fish can produce hundreds of babies!! You would have to get rif of some and you would need at least depending on fry probably about 3 tanks!

Yeah I would keep them I mean not all of them survive... I mean I could think of giving them away to friends if anything.

I am on this site for info... That is the whole point in having this... To get info from other people...
the info is on this site alredy. a search would tell u that, also if u do ur research you will find many of these hybrids are born with birth defects as a result the numbrt that would need to be put down is fairly high. honestly hybrids can be interesting from a scientific stand point when managed correctly but by the sounds u want something diffrent to everyone elce which is fine but im sure there is something already in nature that would make a rair little known pet

Back in the 1960s I crossed a Nubian Variatus with a Red Swordtail and got some perfectly 1/2 red and 1/2 half black fry. As expected tho, the fry did not survive and the "couple" never bred again. In later years, I tried cross breeding some SA cichlids but again, either the fry did not survive or the eggs never hatched. This is a typical result as I've learned. Even in creating new color varieties of fish, sterility is a major issue. (When I started breeding Gold severums, the ratio of fertile males to sterile males was 1:300) HOWEVER, if you look up the genetic lineage of the Parrot Cichlid, you will see that it is a triploid hybrid which means that it is made up of 3 different fishes, so it CAN be done. What I don't know is if these were created in a lab or from natural breedings. But in truth, what makes the Parrot what it is comes from the deformaties that this mixture created. In truth, I'm not a fan of this fish or the balloon fish but that's just me ;)
The "problem" of interbreeding fish is that since most of the fish on the market today are man made, there are many generations of genetics that will be put into play. Just look at all the different color varieties of fish such as Guppies, Swordtails, Mollies, Angels, Discus, Oscars, African Cichlids, etc. Most of the color varieties of these fish do not exist in the wild. My suggestion, if you are going to try to "create" a new fish, start with wild stock and go from there. Be forwarned tho, you will have many more failures than successes ;) I can tell you, it's a LOT of work. But who knows, you could create the next big fish :D Keep us posted

Back
Top Bottom