Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-23-2006, 04:30 PM   #1

Can't get GBR's to spawn.

Ok I've seen and read just about ever post, artical, e-mail any other thing on people getting there GBR's to spwn. I have 3 males and 5 females 1 wild male and 1 wild female. I've tryed everything to get them to spawn. But nothing not even a fight between them.
I added about 10gals of rain water to the tank Last night in hopes this would help. But again not even a fight. I have 2prs that have gotten togeather but no frys.

1. What else can be done?

2. Should I move the Rams to a tank by there self?

3. The water primes are perfect for spawning them but still nothing is there something else that can be added to the water?

Now I've seen them try to spawn there around 4 1/2 to 6 months old and a couple or older then 7m. But still nothing so any input will be used. Thanks Les
Old 06-23-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

What are your water parameters?

Old 06-23-2006, 07:38 PM   #3

there
PH 6.5
GH 200
KH 300

I know that there ok. I've seen them spawn in harder water then mine before. LOL
Old 06-23-2006, 07:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

That GH and KH seem obscenely high to me. Are you sure they're right?
Old 06-23-2006, 08:13 PM   #5

Well that depends on how you read the kit. some same 20ppm others say 200ppm. I myself just say the whole # . I'll test it again tonight and post it after I get back.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to crazyred
No, I'd say that's just about right for Amarillo water. My GH is 300 ppm down here and my ram pair laid eggs before they died in my tank disaster. I'm not sure how you could induce them to breed other than to put them in a dedicated tank and use combo RO/tap water to lower your GH, but you def. want keep your pH right where it is. Might help to bump the temp a few degrees until it's over 80 in the tank.

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

10 Gal. FW: 1 african clawed frog, 1 dwarf flame gourami

10 Gal. FW:tons of blue ram fry

(4) 2 Gal. FW: all four with male bettas
crazyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Are you pushing the ph down with CO2? If you are, try pushing it to 6.3. Mine were doing great at 6.3-6.5. I now have mine at 6.5-6.7, and they look like they are getting ready to lay again, but have not done so yet. I might try dropping mine to 6.3 again and see if it makes a difference.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:18 AM   #8

I've got a DIY system on the Co2. But I have ways of getting it to lower and stay. LOL I'll drop it another 3degrees. I checked it last night and the reading are

PH 6.6
GH 200ppm
KH 275ppm

Now I also read something about Rams that I've been thanking for a yr. now. Like I said in the frist part of the post. I've read and looked at just about everthing I could find. I got a book from a buddie awhile back on Dwarf Cichlids Call

By Dr.Wolfgang Staeck
American Cichlids 1
Dwarf Cichlids
A handbook for their Identifiction,Care,and Breeding

Now I know all the GBR keepers who has had them spawn knows that for some reason they always eat there eggs. I thank LWB has also said the same thing as I have that it's something they have lost in the morphin of them from wild to domastic. That it's either something that has been breed out of them or something that's just been lost in the changes.
Here's a qoute from the book
"Altohough most speicimens can be reproduced easily,it is noteworthy that this success is exclusively based on an artificial rearing. On the other had,the natural care is hardly ever oberved any more. The question for the reason is put at increasing ferquency.
A few remarks on the natural course of a successfulbreeding may therefore be useful. These may be the more interesting as they are based on spicimens bred in Asia which are generally said to especially lack the abilities for a natural parentral care. The reason may be a genetic alteration. "

So it's either breed bred out or it's just been loss in all the altering of the spice. It goes on to say later in the artical that. To insure the domastic spices learns the treat of breeding nd spawn fry a wild spicaman shoud be intro duced into the stock to teach the other to rasie fry.
So I have onething going for me well maybe two. I have a wild male and a wild female. The wild male is the only one trying to or showing any signs of trying to spwan with both the wild female and the other females. So Maybe if I can get a spare tank or another tank {MTS always need another tank } I can put the wild and a couple of domestic females in with him and hope for the best.
Toughts on this?

Tags
gbr, spawn

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com