Caring for Guppy Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davies97

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm expecting Guppy Fry in about 3 weeks so I was wondering should and use a Spawning Mop or Breeding Trap

i personally prefer to leave a lot of hiding spots for fry and cover the filter intake with a sponge, then just remove the males and let the females give birth in there. then i just catch who i can catch and raise the babies seperately it's really stressful on them to put them in a breeding trap, and they might abort fry if they get too stressed. you probably wouldn't want to have babies in a box either ;) just do it where they are comfortable. as for breeding mop... i would float some hornwort and do that instead. it's more natural, and the babies can feed on the microrganisms that grow in the plants.

Breeding Guppies

I'm expecting Guppy Fry in about 3 weeks so I was wondering should and use a Spawning Mop or Breeding Trap

Hello Davies...

No need to make up special accomodations for the fry. Just keep them all together in the same tank and start feeding two to three times per day, just enough so that everything is eaten in a minute or two at the most.

I keep several large, planted tanks of Fancy Guppies and have found if you want a high survival rate of the fry, just feed all the fish more often. Well fed adult Guppies have little or no interest in the fry.

The best thing you can do for the well being of all the fish, and plants too is to remove and replace at least half the water in the tank every week. I do this with all my tanks and my female Fancies reproduce every month. There are always fry in my tanks.

B

I reccommend moving the fry once they are born, not so they dont get eaten, but so you can feed them the appropitae amount to get good size and color on them. But by all means just let them drop in the main tank.

First i will seperate them in to male and female to keep them seperate

Back
Top Bottom