Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

catching mama fish

I am new to breeding ,and have a female that is pregnant and trying to catch her to put her into breeding tank . She looks pretty near term. I have been trying to catch her for over a hour and she is so smart !!. She hides inbetween all the ornaments and bushes.
I bought some guppies about a week and a half ago . and noticed two to look pregnant ,I did not know when they were due though since I did not know the breeding day. I looked at some info a few days ago about due dates and what they look like . The squared off body look was starting to be soon on the one ,but I thought she would have a bit more time to have them . She must have had them overnight, as today I was checking on her and I saw one little baby hiding in the tree. I caught him or her and put it in a breeder tank so the little one would not get eaten . I feel so bad the other babies were probably eaten . Any way have the other one that looks pretty ready so wanted to get her out into breeding tank but I have been chasing her for 45 minutes and cannot catch her she is so fast and smart !! she hides inbetween ornaments and the trees . . I tried feeding them having her come closer but she still got away . Anyone have any tricks of the trade here . Do not want her babies eaten !!

Old 07-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Skype™ to Istrom
She will probably abort the babies if you do end up catching her, seeing how stressed she is.

-Istrom
Istrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The best and least stressful way to catch fish in a tank is to use 2 nets. One larger catch net and one smaller chase net. Place the larger net in a clearing that also is by one side of the tank. You will be using the pane of glass as a helper. Once positioned, use the smaller net to gently guide the fish towards the catch net. once you get the fish near or in the catch net, you can then rapidly ( but not so fast that you spook the fish) lay the net's frame flat against the glass and you have your fish caught. By using the larger catch net, there will be enough netting so that the fish can go into the net and you can move the net up to the surface of the water without losing your catch. Bingo, caught fish, not too stressed and ready to be moved.

Don't be surprised if your chase net becomes the catch net. lol Often times this happens so don;t use too small a net for chasing. The object is to guide the fish into a net not CHASE it into a net.

Hope this helps
Old 07-22-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
The best and least stressful way to catch fish in a tank is to use 2 nets. One larger catch net and one smaller chase net. Place the larger net in a clearing that also is by one side of the tank. You will be using the pane of glass as a helper. Once positioned, use the smaller net to gently guide the fish towards the catch net. once you get the fish near or in the catch net, you can then rapidly ( but not so fast that you spook the fish) lay the net's frame flat against the glass and you have your fish caught. By using the larger catch net, there will be enough netting so that the fish can go into the net and you can move the net up to the surface of the water without losing your catch. Bingo, caught fish, not too stressed and ready to be moved.

Don't be surprised if your chase net becomes the catch net. lol Often times this happens so don;t use too small a net for chasing. The object is to guide the fish into a net not CHASE it into a net.

Hope this helps
Thanks do much thats a Great Idea will let her rest for noe and atyemt the two net thing ,thank you do much !
Old 07-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Andy, you're the man

Sent from my iPhone
Old 07-22-2014, 08:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilygupps View Post
Andy, you're the man

Sent from my iPhone
Experience teaches you a lot of stuff. Being an actual fish collector in the wild helps as well.

Tags
chi, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com