Catfish (Pleco) Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlyssaJade43

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello guys, Just after some answers for a couple questions I have..

- With breeding Catfish do they have to be the same breed or can you have an albino and a L-144?
- is it necessary to remove the parents from the tank once the eggs have opened up
- will shrimp hurt the eggs if they are in the tank
- Do you have to have a egg tumbler

Any advice is Kindly appreciated :thanks:

My l144 male breeds with albino and a dark one. He guards the eggs till they hatch and I leave the the babies with the parents. What kind of shrimp do you have in the tank? I have both rcs and rock shrimp and they are fine together. They breed like guppies.. Just feed the babies when the start swimming around and watch them grow:)

Some catfish can be hybridized, not all though. I think the ones you have are fine. The parents are fine with the eggs, the father will actually protect them. Shrimp can and will eat the eggs, and no egg tumbler is needed. Hope this helps :)

Some catfish can be hybridized, not all though. I think the ones you have are fine. The parents are fine with the eggs, the father will actually protect them. Shrimp can and will eat the eggs, and no egg tumbler is needed. Hope this helps :)

I think it depends on the shrimp

I have 2 rcs in my tank, thinking about giving them away as I do not want to risk the life of my catfish, I have just sold 3 goldfish as they dirtied the tank in 3h and eat anything in my tank, they had a go at my 2 small brown snails
what do you put in your tank as far as plants?
also I am unfamiliar with the breeding caves, can you use anything as far as a coconut house?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have 2 rcs in my tank, thinking about giving them away as I do not want to risk the life of my catfish, I have just sold 3 goldfish as they dirtied the tank in 3h and eat anything in my tank, they had a go at my 2 small brown snails
what do you put in your tank as far as plants?
also I am unfamiliar with the breeding caves, can you use anything as far as a coconut house?

I had 3 batches of fry in 3 months and my rcs don't even notice them and my tank was infested with them.. The dad pleco will take good care of the eggs

Yeah, or a flower pot, some type of resin decoration with an inside to hide in, or just make a little cave out of rocks or driftwood.

As for plants, it depends on lighting. Most Medium light plants do good either way (in my experience), so I'd go with Anacharis, Java Moss, Melon Swords, Chain swords, moss balls, banana plants, Bitter Cress, Contortion Vals, and my personal favorite (and first plant), Bacopa.

Keep in mind that Anacharis grows in low light, and very quickly. Most stem-based plants can be trimmed by the stem and you can re-plant the clippings to grow another.

The plecos in this pic are only couple weeks old but I never seen any of the shrimp bother them.. I'd say you are safe to keep the shrimp. Do you have any pics of the l144?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 64
Where do I buy driftwood do you know? and here is a photo of my l-144

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406169679.441045.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406169679.441045.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 68
I am also looking to breed my Peppermint , do you's know any other good breeds to mix him with

I got my driftwood from a lake but a lot of pet stores sell it. All bristlenose catfish will breed together. The recessive genes won't show up tho. My l144 bred with a common and out of over 150 fry not even one was the same color as the l144.

That sucks, so it's possible you can only breed an l144 with another l144 to get the same colour babies

I'll have to go experimenting with them, I have a common, peppermint , l144 and I'm about to buy an albino
I'm pretty sure the only male is the peppermint, I'm looking to find an older one tho as he is only an inch long

You can either breed 2 l144 or if u breed 2 babies tho that both have l144 gene in it u should get some that look like l144 and if you breed their babies they will have even more of that gene. I have two l144s and I just need to remove the dark female and keep my fingers crossed:) my l144 male is only a little over one inch long and he's having babies so I don't think size matters

so it would be like a 5% chance I would get l144 babies if I breed the l144 female to something else

so it would be like a 5% chance I would get l144 babies if I breed the l144 female to something else

I l144 had 3 batches not one turned to look like him in over 150 fry.. I say it's less than 5 percent

Oh wow, interesting! I'll see what I can make out of my 3 :)

Back
Top Bottom