Chance of molly fry survival

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeSs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

2 days ago my molly gave birth to 9 fry (I think). At first I was able to get 3 of the fry out and put them into a 5 gal tank with preexisting media. It became a hassle trying to get the other fry out so I left them in the main tank. (My main tank is a 30 gal tall with 3 female mollies and 2 male mollies. I also have a rainbow shark and a horseface loach.) Well today all of the fry that I left in the main tank are still alive. I have a bunch of hiding spots at the bottom of the tank (rock tunnels, wood, live plants, fake plants). None of my other fish seem to care about the fry. My rainbow shark has swam right next to them on several occaisions. The only time I have seen agession towards the fry is when they try and swim up towards the top of the tank. The other fish chase them but the fry are very fast and able to escape. I have another molly that is VERY pregnant.

So my question is:
Should I just leave the fry in the main tank? Or should I use the breeder tank and place the fry in the 5 gal tank? I only have 1 fry alive in the 5 gal right now. It seems as though the survival rate is higher in my molly tank. I just need some advice.

Also, how do I keep my fry tank properly cycled without adding fish? I currently have a ambulia and some java moss in the tank.

I would leave them in the main tank if they have survived. Easier on the fish as long as they have places to hide. Keeping a fry tank cycled requires ammonia source to keep cycle going. You can add ammonia everyday or keep the pregnant molly in there until she gives birth.

Back
Top Bottom