Cherry Barb Fry and Several Platy Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atl300zx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I didnt know i had a male and female and since the barbs are the smallest fish in my tank, i was sure that any fry that hatched (or birthed from some of my live bearers) would have a chance to survive.

Boy was i wrong. My tank is densely planted giving shelter to them. When doing a water change i saw several Platys fry (no suprise there, i have a tank of young Platys as my female gives birth about every 4 weeks consistently) and 1 cherry barb fry. It was kinda cool since this is my first fry from a non-live bearer. Also i have such a crew of omnivorous "algae" eaters, i wouldnt think eggs would stand a chance, esp since my snail clutches never last more than 2-3 hrs.

Ill see if I can snap a picture or two next water change.

I got some pics, ill post tonite. It was hard to get a clear picture of the little guy. I hope he hides well enough to survive. I assume all his brothers and sisters didnt make it.

Congratulations. I hope they have survived!

I started with 7 Cherry Barbs (4F/3M) last year, and every 4-5 months 2 or 3 juveniles (about 1/2 inch long) show up. By the time I see them, they have gotten big enough to survive to adulthood. Never really thought that the cherry barbs would be the breeders in my tank. Quite a nice surprise when it happens.

Back
Top Bottom