Cherry Barb Sexing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JourReve08

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello there! I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on sexing cherry barbs? I can't tell from color because I have six albinos, only one of which has a distinct stripe. The others have varying shades of stripes. A few of them have larger pelvic and anal fins than the others. Does this have anything to do with sex? I appreciate the help :)

Hello there! I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on sexing cherry barbs? I can't tell from color because I have six albinos, only one of which has a distinct stripe. The others have varying shades of stripes. A few of them have larger pelvic and anal fins than the others. Does this have anything to do with sex? I appreciate the help :)

With albinos, it's not as easy to tell. Since these are not natural colors, or may have come from generations of breeding, finnage is no longer a reliable way of sexing. The best way would be to look at the fish from above. Males will have a longer thinner body whereas the females will have a more rounded midsection, especially when holding eggs.

Hope this helps (y)

With albinos, it's not as easy to tell. Since these are not natural colors, or may have come from generations of breeding, finnage is no longer a reliable way of sexing. The best way would be to look at the fish from above. Males will have a longer thinner body whereas the females will have a more rounded midsection, especially when holding eggs.

Hope this helps (y)

So helpful! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom