Cherry Barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazychris

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi could anyone tell me the difference between the male and female Cherry Barb? Are they live bearers or do they protect them in their mouths like Cichlids do?

Pretty sure that Cherry Barb's are not live bearers. Also, to guess how many eggs she has, you could look at how big her stomach is and to know if she's ready to breed.

Hi could anyone tell me the difference between the male and female Cherry Barb? Are they live bearers or do they protect them in their mouths like Cichlids do?

Males are Red. Females are Bronze with Reddish fins. Most people buy all red fish and have all males.

And as far as your breeding question the answer is Neither.

They are egg layers. You need a group and you need to condition them with quality frozen and live food. I've never tried to breed them, but there is plenty of info on the net.

Thank you guys for answering my questions. I didn't want to mate them but curiosity was killing the cat on this one. I guess I'll be getting a little beading thing for them in case they do decide to have a little fun. I just had a swordtail give birth while I was at work a few weeks ago and the mother killed them all before I got home.

Thank you guys for answering my questions. I didn't want to mate them but curiosity was killing the cat on this one. I guess I'll be getting a little beading thing for them in case they do decide to have a little fun. I just had a swordtail give birth while I was at work a few weeks ago and the mother killed them all before I got home.

Beading thing ? Oh, breeding thing, got it. Sorry I know spell check misspells things.

You can't use a Breeding net. They aren't that kind of fish. That is ONLY for Livebearers.
Please keep researching your fish.

http://tinyurl.com/d5r4lje

My bad I would need a whole new tank for that to happen the correct way. If not all of the eggs will be gone. It takes a lot of work if I really did plan on this to happen though.

My bad I would need a whole new tank for that to happen the correct way. If not all of the eggs will be gone. It takes a lot of work if I really did plan on this to happen though.

But fish can surprise you. Customers of mine had killed of several groups of fish. I got them restarted slowly with Cherry Barbs. They never noticed anything till one day babies were swimming around. They got about 30 baby Barbs :). Traded them in.

Back
Top Bottom