Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to papa_bear_21
cichlid eggs

Ok, so I went to clean the tank today, and noticed what appears to be eggs on my driftwood. I assume they are cichlids, since there are 2 cichlids defending the site. The tank is a 55 gallon tank, minimal decor, aerated by 2 pumps rated for 80 gallon tanks total. I have no clue about much else, as I have not been able to monitor the tank daily.

Any help with what I need to do now, and in the future, will be greatly appreciated.

Bear

Old 10-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well it does sound like your cichlids have laid some sort of eggs id they are guarding them. But what kind of cichlids are they of you want us to tell you what to do. If you need identification post a pic.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I apologize, I did forget that part. African cichlids, black convicts I believe, black and white vertical stripes.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like your covict laid eggs.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

they are all the same, are there any special steps I need to take before the eggs hatch? I've never had cichlids before, and honestly was planning on selling them, but some unfortunate events happened before I could.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

just a note... convicts are south american... also noticed you said "minimal decor"... convicts like lots of hiding spots. mine rarely left their "cave"... i never saw eggs with mine, i just noticed fry swimming around the next day. and they are good parents, they generally wont eat the fry, at least not for a while

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

that helps a lot. When I had a bunch of decor, they were always out, rarely hid. Atleast now I understand why they chased my pleco from his spot...
Old 10-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

yeah, they are very territorial... make sure you have 1 if not 2 or more hiding spots per fish. that will decrease the aggression in the tank and also make them feel more secure

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

thats a lot of hiding places...looks like I'm going to my lfs for some rock...and a lot of it... prolly going to add to my driftwood count too...apparently, one just aint enough...

Tags
cichlid, egg, eggs, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com