Clown loaches pregnant??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clifford_69

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 small clown loaches and am wondering if these 2 are pregnant?

2 of them have these bellies, slightly swollen and a blackish colour. And one of them does not have it at all.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399316219.563265.jpg

Thanks

Or is it just full bellies from eating?? I know they lay eggs, just wondering why 2 have it and one doesn't

Ag shame Clifford, they are still babies.
They look really healthy, definitely full tummies. Mine does the same after eating. Looking good☺️

Ok that's good, wasn't ready for babies swimming around! Lol

Are they slow growers the clown loaches?

They are very slow growing and grow at a rate.of about an inch and a half give our take a year

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are they even big enough? I think clowns reach sexual maturity at about 15cm/6inch. So far that's taken mine up to 8 years (I've had the oldest since may 2006, so it is possibly 10+ I think because it was a good size at purchase maybe 3-4 inch)

They grow quite fast at a young age, past 4inch, they slow down loads! Maybe 1/2" a year.

My biggest is at or around 17cm about 7 1/2"
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92891884@N04/13254225313/

(Tank bred clowns is a lucky thing indeed, very few manage it naturally, most of the actual activity is speculation really with a few varied ideas of how when and why they do the dance)

Yeah the farm bred clowns from Asia/China are typically produced artificially by hormone injection. I believe that's where most of the pet store clowns come from.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom