Color Changing Guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arrynyo

Aquarium Advice Regular
i got some pics that aint too good but one of my female guppies is changing colors for some odd reason. were in the midst of a heatwave in southwest ohio and my tank stays at around 80-82 without the heater on (o_0) so im kinda thinkin it might be contributing to her chameleating(lol). she was all yellow with a bit of red in the tail but now she is starting to get dark red on her back half. the other female (who is WAY more energetic) is in the starting stages of a new paint job too and they were the same color. i just wanna know if this is common or if something may be wrong with them thanks for any info!

Attachments

• IMAG0153.jpg
    IMAG0153.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMAG0154.jpg
    IMAG0154.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 68
honestly that fishie doesnt look too good to me. She also looks preggo. Could just be the pic or the water or something but I haven't seen guppies look like that. Her back also looks kind of curved... reminds me of fish TB. Not saying that is the case but just my thoughts.

Tropical Fish Disease Identification with pictures and cures.

Again not saying there is anything wrong, just in case here is a link

I don't think guppies are known for changing colors, but like Lacey said, fish can lose their color if they're stressed and/or sick, so I'd keep an eye on it.

Also, you said that it stays 80-82 without the heater on, but you still have the heat "on" right? Temperature swings could also be a cause. If your ambient (house) temperature is over 80 (I'm assuming that's your heater temp) then your heater won't be able to do anything, and your tank will swing along with your house temp.

I'm not suggesting this, but I'm curious to know whether a consistent 84ish is better than a swinging 80-83. I'd assume so, but I my intuition has been pretty off in the past.

thanks for that info guys and as far as the temp thing goes when i noticed that the temp was at 80 i figured the heater wasnt going to do much for the water so i unplugged it i had it set at 76-80 and the ambient temp keeps it at either 80 or 82 without the heater so i think id save me some electricity. i never thought about fish tb @ logansmama so im surely gonna check that out. i thought it looked like internal bleeding but there isnt anything in my tank that can do that kind of damage. the pic was kinda crappy and the but the cup was one of those plastic containers you get a snail in at wal mart so it made it kinda blurry and ive included some better pics (almost better she wouldnt stay very still) but i dont know. she hangs around at the bottom of the tank and nobody bothers her at all and she seems to be swimming just fine and she has no problem getting to the food either. i agree on the preggo i let them do their thing and she isnt actually losing color but gaining more colors i just thought maybe she was maturing or something because the red is the same red she had on the tip of her tail when i first got her.any idea as to what breed of guppy she is?

Attachments

• IMAG0159.jpg
    IMAG0159.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMAG0157.jpg
    IMAG0157.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMAG0155.jpg
    IMAG0155.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 68
hmmm.. is she acting strange at all? I know some fish tend to color up more once they are comfortable and happy. Maybe she is just starting to thrive. I can't help you with what kind she is either, but I do know you can google it and I am sure you can find out :D

well im 2 for 2 now i came home from work and she was dead (smh)...sadness....i think it might have been fish tb because her back was bent compared to the other similar looking guppy in the tank. i took her out asap and held the funeral in the bathroom (im terrible i know) i think i might do a 80% water change because there may be something going on in there. im getting a new testing kit but until then im going to keep a close eye on my fish...thanks for your help and advice guys

Ok, i've never heard of females changing colors, but I have bred a guppy that could change colors all the time. He was usually yellow, but could change color and design. He died, and I couldn't breed another. I'm trying to spread the word around so people can look for more. They are feeder guppies, so nobody has ever noticed. They usually have solid yellow tails. I saw a few at the San Diego Zoo in the snapping turtle tank, so they are out there. Please look for them.
I'm also going to post a thread about them, so leave comments there, please.

the other guppy i had that looked just like her died today as well....but the larger female i have is doing just fine. its really odd in my tank as to who survives and who dosent. my fry that i have in the tank, the guppies always die, and the platy fry are doing super fine. i dont understand why they live and the others dont. the molly fry seem to do okay but only one so far has made it very far. i will get a new testing kit soon and post my parameters so maybe somebody can tell me whats going on.

Okay, did you buy them or breed them, and were they fancy guppies. Female fancy's have some color on them when they are mature. If you bred them, they could have just reached maturity.
I've had female guppies that changed sex, but yours would have done that by now.

Back
Top Bottom