common plec

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishkeeper90

Aquarium Advice Freak
i think i already know its a yes but will a common pleco eat baby bristlenose plecs

I doubt it, they're algae eaters by nature, I think that'd be a strange thing to happen. I read that when breeding them the mom might try to eat them but doesn't try super hard and the dad will guard the eggs and fry

I doubt it, they're algae eaters by nature, I think that'd be a strange thing to happen. I read that when breeding them the mom might try to eat them but doesn't try super hard and the dad will guard the eggs and fry
i know bristlenose wont eat bristlenose fry im talking about a common pleco eating bristle nose fry

I've heard of them eating dead fish at the bottom of the tank but nothing alive and moving.

also is it ok to put a common pleco in with an upside down catfish as he an old boy and dont wanna stress him out by putting common in the same tank? the common is about same size in length as the catfish

Commons are really a burden unless you have a 300 gallon tank or larger, they get huge and take dumps the size of hot dogs. Why must you have a common? Their are literally 76 other species that would do better in a tank less than 55 gallons. And they look way cooler!!

Commons are really a burden unless you have a 300 gallon tank or larger, they get huge and take dumps the size of hot dogs. Why must you have a common? Their are literally 76 other species that would do better in a tank less than 55 gallons. And they look way cooler!!
we dont want the common really ...we have moved it to main tank now temperarily until we can sell it its only 5 inch atm so its ok in our main tank ...it came with a new tank we got last week as well as a few other fish which we have sold and it was the only fish in that tank but we got 2 batches of bristlenose fry that we needed to get into that new tank as the water went very cloudy today in the 50 litre tank (we wernt expecting a second batch 3 weeks down the line lol we thought we had a good couple of months to get it sorted for the fry) new tank was a bargain £100 for a tank thats worth £350 brand new and it came with fish 2 externals decorations etc maybe about £1000 worth of stuff for £100 but we got our money back from selling fish and bits we dont need already so its just the common to go now ....its in a 4ft tank now where as the new one it came in was a 3ft tank :)

so it wernt personal choice to have it ....when the person was selling the tank he said there was 2 bnps 1 male 1 female but the one he thought was a female bnp was the common it wernt until we got it back here i looked at it and said thats not a bnp its a bloody common lmao so the seller lied to us or didnt know himself

My favorite LFS has a 150 gal. Tank dedicated to those who return overgrown Common Plecos. Last look there were several commons, all over a foot long.

Neither my common or bristlenose have bothered any of my fry but they are also well fed. Word of advice get that common out before it's too big! I got stuck with one that my mother in law bought and had in a 10 gallon (per the pet shops advice ?) and I am having a heck of a time trying to get the big sucker out of my 55! I'm probably going to have to almost drain the tank to get him out! ?

Back
Top Bottom