Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2005, 11:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to msmonih Send a message via Yahoo to msmonih
Community Tanks - Spawning Success !!

Hello All !! It has been awhile. Been very busy and dedicated to our aquariums. I am happy to report that our 3 pairs of our Blue Gouramis are now in high gear of spawning in our 90 g community tank. We also have some pregnant Endlers who we are anxious to drop their fry. In our 55 g community tank, we are hoping to have some Platy fry and Honey Gourami Fry by the end of this year. Our Honey Gourami have already started to bubble nest build AND he protests our Guppy fry from all the other fish - he's a wonderful surrogate daddy. All of our Gourami in our 55 g are just enthralled with our Guppy Fry.

We are now venturing into the world of Oscars...we are purchasing our second one hoping to make a breeding pair.

We are also now raising our own feeder fish - Rosy Red Minnows and Endlers.

So our community tanks have proven you don't need a separate tank for the Gouramis to spawn. We've seen the eggs we are just waiting for the babies to come. We are excited.

We also have about 30 Fancy Guppy Fry 3 different batches 1 at 4-5 wks old, 1 at 3-4 wks old, and 1 at 2-3 wks old. 2 of the batches are from the 55 g community tank and 1 batch is from the 29 g community tank. We also have 1 Molly Fry in the Fry Holding tank along with the Guppy fry which we are happy about.

We happy have 1 female Molly Fry who is the absolute spitting imagine of the Mother and we are happy as she is our favorite Molly. This Molly only has 1 fry per month. Don't ask why she's very healthy.

I know we are supposed to report what we do to breed.. here goes...

Well planted tanks, all are at 78 degrees F, varied diet - shrimp pellets, sinking carnivores pellets, frozen/freeze dried/fresh brine shrimp, black worms, blood worms, variety of flakes, betta granules, algae wafers, freeze dried tubeflex worms, daphnia, snail snack. Can't report on water parameters as we don't do water testing anymore unless there is an issue. I can tell you our pH is normal very little ammonia/nitrates/nitrites. Water changes are done as necessary usually 20% once a week or every 10 days and 50%-80% pwc when necessary. Gravel suction at least once a month.

Looking forward to reporting on much more once our babies grow some more.

Old 08-25-2005, 11:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Congratulations sounds like things are going well for you.

Old 08-26-2005, 12:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Congratulations on your success, and many more success to come!

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
Congrats and good luck with the oscars.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/kyman_33/sig.jpg
oscarbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to msmonih Send a message via Yahoo to msmonih
Thanks everyone. Oscarbreeder I do have a few questions for you. How do you tell a male/female Oscar from each other? We want to get a mate for our new Oscar while he/she is still a Juvi but we are hoping to sex the Oscar first. Your help is appreciated!
Old 08-26-2005, 10:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Congrats you are doing very well. Keep it up

Tags
community, community tanks, spawning, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com