Compatibility and breeding questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ive got 2 x Convict Cichlids (know about their rep)
1 x Jewel Cichlid
1 x Elephant Nose
1 x Rainbow Shark
1 x Triangle Cichlid
1 x Oscar
1 x Pleco

Now, i want to add 1 x Firemouth Cichlid.. Will he be fine with these fish? they all seem to have quite peaceful personalities, an there is not much fighting in the tank.. pls give any advice..

ANd a friend would like 2 no what he should do with Baby Rainbow Cichlids once they are born? Parents are VERY protective over the eggs at the mo, an have planted them in a ship (sheltered area)
His tankmates are: 2 x Rainbow Cichlids
1 x Pearl Gourami
1 x Texas Cichlid
1 x Poleni Cichlid
1 x Oscar
2 x Pepper Catfish
1 x Pleco

Thanx..

Now, i want to add 1 x Firemouth Cichlid.. Will he be fine with these fish? they all seem to have quite peaceful personalities, an there is not much fighting in the tank.. pls give any advice..
I'm thinking these are juvies and when sexual maturity hits, you will see why they have their reps. How large is the tank?

For your friend--the parents will continue to be protective of the brood to the point where other fish may be hurt. Since these are prolific breeders, I would let nature take its course. They may lose all the fry this time, but they will be more prepared next time. If your friend is intent on saving the fry, he should move the parents and eggs to a 20 gallon tank. Your friend also needs a plan as to what to do with all the fry when they grow up.

I would be very weary about adding a Firemouth to the tank unless you've got 125g tank or more. You will see the personality come out, like Managerie stated.

As for the fry, since they're already in the tank, there isnt much you can do. The parents have set up a safe place for them, so now you just have to sit back and watch. Most of the time they will be eaten, but who knows. Also as Managerie said, moving them to another tank would be a great idea. Convids do breed quite often.

Back
Top Bottom