Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Compatibility questions.....

i was thinking about picking up either some guppies or a few zebra danios to go with my platy and molly. would the danios work out or should i go with the guppies?

Old 03-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

danios would work fine, if in a group, they'll stay to themselves... i would caution you against guppies unless you have a means of selling or giving away the fry

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

thats the whole thing i want fry and lots of em. i know people who would want them and i wouldnt mind giving them away. i dont want to have to buy any new ones if somebody passes. i have a preggo platy but shes been holding them so long i cant wait anymore. so either one would work i will have to choose when i get to the pet store then thanks a lot!
Old 03-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

how big is the tank? if its not at least a 20 long, i would go with guppies... its just my opinion, but seeing how danios like to swim so much, i wont put them in anything smaller

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

i think its a 25 or maybe a 20 but its not long though i know its way bigger than a 10 and its bigger than a 15 (i bought it at a flea market so i dont know the demisions exactly i just compared it to others). but thanks ill go with the guppies then. how many should i get judging by my tank size ( well assume its a 20gal) ?
Old 03-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Measure the tank. I'm suspecting that you may not want to add to it. How long have you had it running?
Old 03-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've had the tank running since this past November and I had goldfish in there for a good month then I started with the Platies and Mollies. If I get rid of the tank I'll have room for something bigger but I don't plan on doing that until after I move out of this apartment.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrynyo View Post
I've had the tank running since this past November and I had goldfish in there for a good month then I started with the Platies and Mollies. If I get rid of the tank I'll have room for something bigger but I don't plan on doing that until after I move out of this apartment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
Measure the tank. I'm suspecting that you may not want to add to it. How long have you had it running?
Knowing it's capacity seems like it'd be of importance to you then. How else will you know if you really do have room to add more fish?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

yeah you are right i had a friend of mine bring his empty 20 over to compare with mine and they were the same size to its officially a 20gal. so is it cool to add a few more fish? im thinking like 2 male guppy and 3 female. if not, how many if any should i get?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

How many platies and mollies do you have? I'd strongly recommend all males (or females if you like) for livebearers. You will quickly overpopulate.

Tags
compatibility

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com