Confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Vysekal

Aquarium Advice Activist
My male betta all of sudden started to
Release eggs from his .. tube but he's defo male as he's so dam aggressive to mi other 3 males

Attachments

• image-1925676011.jpg
    image-1925676011.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 76
So the fish is releasing eggs from the ovipostor under the belly? Or making a bubble nest with its mouth? That betta is showing female breeding stripes by the looks of it. Females can be aggressive also.

Yeah that looks female. Not many colors but the fins are kind of long... Females are more passive be can be aggressive. Or perhaps you have a hermaphrodite fish

Well I brought 2 males from same store and the second male seems to be releasing eggs as well from his ovipositor well he's releasing small white lumps that look like a tiny ball to me hope they aren't hermaphrodite :L

Females can be just as aggressive. Looks like you may have found a female with long fins. Mumma is right, it is showing female breeding stripes, and only females have an ovipositor.

I don't think they are female I was thinking about it a bit as all of my fishes are constantly fed sometimes overfed with live food they could just be excreting protein matter

Attachments

• image-1051548288.jpg
    image-1051548288.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 79
They both look female to me. Some ways to tell a female are the 'egg spot' on the belly, breeding stripes (vertical lines on fish) and smaller gills (lack of a 'beard'). Males tend to have a 'beard'. The gill covers don't cover the whole gill and they stick out around the chin. The size/length of the fins aren't a good indication of gender.
See if you can google some pictures of males, females and some eggs then you can compare.

Mumma.of.two said:
Not necessarily. Some males can show fake/false egg spots. But if there are eggs then, of course, it's definitely female. ;)

I did not know this. Interesting.

Well 3 of my male show them spots but certainly they are males I managed to over feed them with blood worms (high protein food) so they have been excreting protein lumps

Harry Vysekal said:
I have 100l tank divided into 4 slots in each I have a pair of bettas check my pictures ;)

Oh okay! I thought you had four males in the same tank cuz you said he was aggressive to you other males! Sorry bout that.

No worries mate I just tried to see what he would do when I put him with my other males just to see if he is really a male :) otherwise he's the most aggressive male that I had so on

Back
Top Bottom