convict cichlids pairing issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zemerys

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi!

So im trying to pair this male and female 2inch convicts i have but im not sure wth is happening.

-the female was being chased by the male. She usually just swims away.
-i thot it was kinda normal so i just added a few more hiding places
-the female found a small hiding spot. When shes in there and the male comes, she kinda fights back as not to let him in.
-im doubting theyre nesting in there because the hole is smallllll.
-another thing is the male knows where that spot is and he roams around the tank...goes back to the entrance of that spot and they kinda fight/kiss but not to the point that the female is chased out.
-if the female gets out for food, the male violently attacks her until she goes back to that spot.

-no there r no eggs yet
-yes im sure theyre male and female and are mature enough

Since im not sure what the hell theyre doing im confused what to do...shud i remove the female because she cant seem to eat well? Should i add my extra female in there? Should i just wait?

I dont know. Please help. I know theyre easy to breed but i just wonder if they r compatible or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Were they a previous mated pair, or did you just kinda put a male and female together and hope for the best?

They were never a pair. They were 2 single cichlids at the store and i purchased them hoping theyd just pair up.

Were they a previous mated pair, or did you just kinda put a male and female together and hope for the best?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had that problem before even when they mated and breed some babies. the male eventually harassed the female to death =(

Back
Top Bottom