Convict Fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattMan1212

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Everyone,
I have two convicts, two Jack Dempseys, one unknown striped south american cichlid with blue eyes??, and two firemouths in my 55 gallon. About two weeks ago a convict began to create a pit and defend a cave in the tank. About three days later I had between 100 and 150 wriggling fry. What is strange is that the unknown striped cichlid and the mother convict seem to be defending the nest, not the two convicts. I am hoping this is not because the different species bred, but it looks that way. The fry are all doing well and developing normally, but don't know how to handle this situation. Any help would be appreciated. The unknown cichlid is semi-popular but I can not seem to find it in any of my aquarium books or online. Thanks.

Allright I found out what the species is, Cichlasoma spilurum, commonly known as the blue eye cichlid. With that in mind, do you think that my male spilurum and female convict bred and had 200 fry??

Female convicts are the ones that initiate mating, and are notorious for seducing any type of cichlid they are kept with. Hybrids are not popular with most folks, and are generally not pretty when they grow up. Best bet is remove the parents, and let the other fish take care of them.

Aww that's not nice. I've got some convict fry I'm trying to get rid of atm. I should probably take the parents to the pet shop or give them to a friend or something, because I think they're about ready to do it again!! Crazy fish.

Although hybrids are not encouraged by most fish keepers, myself included, if i was in your place i might keep a couple just to see what they look like. would be a great addition to my genetics/hybridization lesson in my science class. but if you do keep a couple just out of curiosity, DO NOT let them get out into the general aquarium public. you should really only promote naturally occurring species.

Picture

Hey,
Thanks for all the advice, I probably will remove the parents to my 20 gallon, or possible separate them permanently.

Attachments

• cichlidpair_143.jpg
    cichlidpair_143.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 34
Once convicts, or most SA cichlids for that matter start spawning, they'll keep it up for a while. You'll end up with WAY too many fry. Been there, learned the hard way nobody wants 'em. Now I keep Africans: less fry, and I don't move the fry or parents when they spawn, so most get eaten anyway.

Convicts are actually Central American. And yes, I agree the fry can be difficult to get rid of. They are sooo prolific.

Back
Top Bottom