Cory babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishywishywowoo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have my first successful hatching! I have about 35 fertilised eggs. The first one has hatched this morning and is free swimming. How long do they feed off their yolk sack? How d they know which is there's (probably a stupid question but just wondering) and will they be OK for now in a 9 inch by 9 inch tupperware box with an air pump with a filter pad tied around the outlet tube (tried making a makeshift filter whilst waiting for my new mini filter) is there anything I need to do now? I'm doing twice daily pwc about 50%

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cool what are you gonna do with the babies I just wanna know cuz way to often people don't have the room and sadly flush them down the toilet or starve them to death if you are gonna kill them flush them as eggs

Sent from me sitting in my 40000 gallon tank

OMG never. I'm going to keep a couple of them and give the rest to my trusted lfs to sell on. How could anyone do that! My kids are so attached to them all its gonna be bad enough rehousing them

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

OMG never. I'm going to keep a couple of them and give the rest to my trusted lfs to sell on. How could anyone do that! My kids are so attached to them all its gonna be bad enough rehousing them

We have had about six batches of albino Cory cats. We usually hang them in one of those plastic containers the LFS uses to hold the fish you are going to buy in between catching and bagging them. That way you don't need a heater. And we just use the air stone. We use a turkey baster to change about 50% of the water twice a day but just add tank water to the baby water instead of fresh. They don't need to eat until they are swimming not just wiggling. They love micro worms. We keep them in that little box until they're big enough not to get eaten by the adults. I will say, the adults will feed along next to the babies no aggression at all.

Long story short. Yes that will be fine! What kind of cories do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They are peppered cories. There are now 3 of them free swimming. Will they need food today then. They weren't even wriggling yesterday. I'm at work on a 13 hour shift today. I'm going to the lfs to get some food for them tomorrow. All I gave in is liquifry. Should I add a drop of that for today or not?

I would imagine so? I've never used that so I'm not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Only 3 have hatched. The rest appeared to have fungused. I placed them in a separate container for 48 hours after the first 3 hatched but nothing. Was so sad as you could see that a few if them had got to the wiggler stage but unfortunately they succumbed to the fungus. The 3 survivors appear active and healthy

I have my first successful hatching! I have about 35 fertilised eggs. The first one has hatched this morning and is free swimming. How long do they feed off their yolk sack? How d they know which is there's (probably a stupid question but just wondering) and will they be OK for now in a 9 inch by 9 inch tupperware box with an air pump with a filter pad tied around the outlet tube (tried making a makeshift filter whilst waiting for my new mini filter) is there anything I need to do now? I'm doing twice daily pwc about 50%

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They feed of their yolk sack for 1-2 days

Sent from me sitting in my 40000 gallon tank

A lot of people suggest using methylene blue with the eggs to help prevent fungusing. I find if you keep the water flow going it seems to work fine. I throw an airline tube in the container with the eggs (no airstone just the tube).
I hope the babies do well! Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom