Cory breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petkeeper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys i was wonting to breed bronze corys but I don't know how to information would be appreciated :) .

i have acctuly just been reserching this over the last few days so im happy to shair what i have found out.
first the fish;
corys are comfortable in groups so idealy we want 2 groups of three fish with 2 male and one female in each as this ratio seems to be favord by most breeders, the fish should be young adults (geting close to 2" long) and they obviously need to be healthy ans well as happy. corys wont mate unless they are happy.
second the tank;
if you are setting up a breeding tank for the corys it should be well cycled (obviously) with nitrates at about 10ppm. the tank size isnt all that important but you do have 6 fish in a tank so the 1" per gallon rule would dictate that at least 12 gal would be used i personaly would be looking for a 20 gal with a large foot print.
many people would recomend a bare tank however i think a sand substrate would be beter as many times fry spend there time lying on the substrate and a bare tank may make them a little more suseptable to fungus as it may grow on the floor of the tank and what the heck some sword plants would be nice to as many species of cory like to put there eggs on the leaves.
the tanks should also have a ph of around 7 and temp should be about 74-76.
also a fry safe filter is a must.
conditioning;
when its time to get things started plop your corys in the breeding tank and let the pampering begin they should be well fed with blood worms, wafers, boiled vegies basicly just lots of food, now the work begins during the time it takes to get thease guys to spawn there will be water changes every few days and since your feeding heavy this isnt a bad thing. the trick is to do a large water change (aprox 50%) and cooler water 3-10 degrees cooler as this imitates the rain and cues the cory to get busy. keep this up until you have eggs.
egg care;
you can eather put the eggs in a breeder box and position it where there is good water flow ( ie over an air stone or filter outlet) or you can trust mum and dad cory and leave the eggs where they put them but dont trust them too much as they will see there eggs as a yummy snack so eather way the eggs need to be seperate from the adults. it is also a GOOD idea to treat them with an anti fungas agent to shockingly prevent fungas from killing your eggs. in a few days (3-5) the eggs should hatch.
fry care;
when they are first born they do not need food as they have a delicious yolk sack to absorb but once this is gone a mixed diet of newly hatced brine shrimp and a paste made from egg yolk and water is the way to go ( in a week or 2 they can move on the crused flake when there big enough) i personaly would probably keep them in the fry tank in a large breeder trap while they are very young as treeting a whole tank with egg yolk past would result in water quality issues.... but if they are in the trap a small swirl or drops of shrimp 4-6 times a day untill they can move on to crused flakes. then its time to move them into the fry tank. if possable some java moss would be awsome for the fry as thy love hiding and eating from it.

thats about all i have hope it helps

Well put!!! That's my way of doing it. I have cherry shrimp in the tank and they keep the eggs clean too.

Back
Top Bottom