Cory breeding and sexing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418572342.660422.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418572366.875154.jpg
Sorry for the blur there's a lot of water movement. First pic you can see they're not really one color or the other, second you can see some are white and some are off white. Any thoughts?

View attachment 258350View attachment 258351
Sorry for the blur there's a lot of water movement. First pic you can see they're not really one color or the other, second you can see some are white and some are off white. Any thoughts?

They actually look fertile every egg that I had that were like that hatched, none of the white ever have

I normally always get the eggs out and place them in a tuberware tube and float on top, change water every few hours, 3 days later they are starting to hatch,

Sent from fish phone

View attachment 258350View attachment 258351

I would be careful though as they might get through the gaps in there

They are tiny when they first hatch, personally I'd put the cutting with eggs on into a tub that you can float with no holes and just change the water atleast 3 times a day, that way if they hatch they can't escape or get stuck

Sent from fish phone

Yeah I can do that. I'd love to give it a go but don't know what I would do with them all! Do you heat the Tupperware container? I would figure higher temps mean quicker hatch time but I would be wary of a heater in a plastic tub.

It's a lot easier to set up a 10g as a breeding tank.

Condition adults with variety of live and frozen meaty foods. Once you see them chasing, transfer them to the 10g.

Do a PWC with cooler water. Once eggs are laid, remove adults to main tank.

Here is one method
http://youtu.be/ECAOAeSCBFs

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks coursair. I have a spare ten and fifteen at the moment, but I wasn't actively trying to get them to breed. At one point I may but for now just seeing if I can hatch what I have :) they sprayed the 55 gallon three times in two days well over 100 eggs now.
Have you had any success with a 1-1 ratio?

I haven't tried breeding them. My club member breeds Cories. He uses groups...more boys than girls.

My habrosus tried spawning, but I never saw eggs.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woke up to another thirty eggs today jeez! Didn't bother moving them because I have enough waiting to see what happens already :)

If anyone is still reading, I think I had a fertile Myrtle. These are three and a half days in minus the totally white or fungused ones I took out. How much longer should I leave them under the filter outflow? If they hatch I don't wanna blow them all over the breeder. Can't find a container with no slots that will stay floating in the tank and my house is cold so I don't really want to move them into an unheated container
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418767362.082043.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418767498.565200.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418767518.608045.jpg

Got home too late
Fry!!!! About four so far they just started popping out
This thing is yelling about my photo quota so I'll try to post tomorrow.

Grr anyone know what this photo exceeds your quota thing is? I can't post a pic :(

Grr anyone know what this photo exceeds your quota thing is? I can't post a pic :(

Hurrah about the fry. Are they small enough to slip through the slots in the floating breeder? I cut up the floss part of a filter cartridge to fit over the slots and used shish kabob skewers to hold them in place when I had small fry like that.
The "exceeds your quota" thingy means that you've used up all of the allocated space you have been given. Do you have the free or paid membership? The latter, though not required, gives you certain perks such as a larger inbox for messages and more space for pics. It's $15.02 annually and payable through PayPal. I got tired of having a full inbox so I paid for the membership.
Also, you can use a third party image hosting site such as Imgur, Flickr, etc and upload your pics there. Each site should provide a way to get the URL link for a given image. When posting pics, you would paste the URL with the IMG tags around it. Sorry if I geeked you out :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No totally fine I just had no idea there was a limit. Maybe I'll edit some old posts to take out pics so I can post new ones!
I switched the slotted breeder for one that had a few teeeny holes in the bottom to let water in but these guys are so small one fell out haha

I found some eggs today and put the in a dip and pour of tank water and put it in the tank. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good luck bren!
I picked up some hikari first bites yesterday, and my friend is going to give me one of his microworm cultures. I haven't fed them yet but will today

Back
Top Bottom