Cory breeding and sexing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cold Canadian

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403044601.292865.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403044700.429444.jpg
Sorry for the bad pics
Are any of my four Bronze Cory's female or male and what's my ratio of male to female.
Are there any how tos and any tips on breading them

Thanks for help

Hi the fatter ones are the females the thinner ones males I tried to get a pic of mine to show you but they both went and hide in different places typical. I've just had my second load of eggs hatch from albino corys first load only one hatched and survived this time 12 hatched hope that helps abit I'll try get some pics at some point if noone else adds any first

Btw provided you have a male and female I would leave them to it the female will start to look a little chubby on the belly right next to the head,when you do a water change use slightly cooler water as this seems like rain they will spawn when ready, scrape the eggs off the side of the tank as rye will eat the eggs or put them in a seperate tank to spawn and remove the adults once they have, after 12 hours of spawning the fertile eggs will be a light brown colour the infertile ones will have white dot inside them, they will then hatch after 3-5 days roughly, if you get this far let me no and I will help with the rest if you wantImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403650710.550020.jpg this us my first one that is a month old now

Note that females will lay eggs even if there is no male. My females lay eggs every 21 days. I do daily water changes as a roitine, mainly because I feed my fish a ton of food to make them grow faster. My females are in my grow-out tank.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In been looking at my Cory's a lot and I think I have one female and three males.
I do weekly water changes with colder water. But how old do they need to be to breed, I bought them about four months ago from pet land and they are all happy and healthy

In been looking at my Cory's a lot and I think I have one female and three males.
I do weekly water changes with colder water. But how old do they need to be to breed, I bought them about four months ago from pet land and they are all happy and healthy

I also got some albino corys mid February from PetSmart. They are almost 2 inches now but still too young to breed. The males are not going after my older (2 yrs old) gravid females and the females have been laying eggs every 3 weeks since February.

I don't know the number of months. Normally they can breed at 1.75" size for bronze Cory from my experience. But I think I just overfed mine for many months hence their large size.

The best clue for when they are ready to breed is the females will have a bulging fat belly like a pregnant guppy. This will only be apparent if you have female(s) of same age as males in your colony and assuming they are all well fed.

My male corys finally started mating with the gravid females. The males are between 1.75 to 2.00 inches long. I bought these males from PetSmart in February 2014.

Back
Top Bottom