Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2010, 12:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Smile Cory Catfish Breeding

Recently I bred my albino female cory cat with a bronze male and got a dozen hets for albino (i guess we'll have to see when the little ones breed if any come out albino)
So check it out to maintain the babies after they were about half inch (like in the picture) i had a little 2.5 gallon fishbowl an just hooked up a couple of disposable filters one can get for about 5 dollars at a shop (which i later figured out you can open and clean and replace the media to save cash and recycle). To hatch the eggs i just found a few uneaten ones on the plants and droped them in the fishbowl filled with water from the aquarium that the corys were in, after that i put an air stone in and they hatched to my surprise a few days later. I have no clue why my corys are breeding in my tank i dont do anything special i guess they just like the natural planted feel of things and they obviously get along just fine. so 12 babies out of the probably 30 so eggs survived and grew and they are all happily swiming free with their parents in the much larger tank. the pic below is the big female next to one of her offspring. a couple weeks after that photo she laid eggs for about 8-12 hours and i collected a few to start the cycle over again.
Anyone out there breed corys and want to offer any advice?

Old 03-13-2010, 03:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's crazy!!! The babies are SOOOO tiny! Please post pics when they get bigger?!!?!
Congrats!

HAHA! I had to really look at the second pic, because I thought you were saying the pleco was her baby. HAHAA! Then I found the little guy.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

here's another pic of some of the babies they are roughly an inch in this pic. but they are growing really fast in the bigger tank, i have one thats almost as big as the dad!
Old 03-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ohh! They're so cute! Little bug eyes!
Old 03-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
cwt
Aquarium Advice FINatic

they're easy to breed and easy to grow... better buy more food if all those fry survive ;0

I've posted what I know about cories in another thread with pics. It's out there if you search for it.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Congratz. Its cool to see how you raised fry.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hehe Congratz...
I get Cory Fry's in my Canister everytime I clean it up.. They are hardy to survive under the worst conditions.

Tags
breed, breeding, catfish, cory, cory cat, cory catfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com