Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Question Cory Egg Counts

I'm starting to try and breed cory cats. I've started with peppered since most of what I read says they are pretty easy.

I setup a dedicated conditioning 20 gal tank and put 6 in there (I think the proper ratio of 4 males 2 females).

Feed them good and use cold water during water changes to temporarily drop the tank temp. So far they have responded by laying eggs every few days.

My question for those who have purposely or accidentally bred them before, what is the normal quantity of eggs they lay? I'm also breeding angelfish and they lay a lot each time. My corys will lay a dozen or so scattered all over the tank at most. I see some pictures on the web of large groups of eggs, but maybe those aren't peppered corys.

Also, will they continue to lay eggs as long as they get good food and the water changes with cool water?

Thanks for any input

Dennis

Old 04-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
cwt
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have the same kind of cories and when my female stuck her eggs onto the glass about a month ago, I counted around 30-40. I saved maybe a dozen, and I still have 6 fry left. You're getting eggs every few days? Wow. All you have to do now is segregate a few away from the adults, as they will eat 'em up if given the chance.

The eggs in my tank came after a change in diet, but I didn't do any of the other stuff like changing the water temps (it's a community tank). I think it was the algae wafers I started using at that time; maybe just coincidence.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

After watching the breeding process one day I saw what the problem was.

Turns out a larger male was apparently large because he loved to snack on fresh eggs. While he didn't participate in the actual spawn, once the female was holding her egg and looking for a place to put it, he would harrase her until she released and chomp it down in one gulp.

I moved him out and now I'm getting more in the area of 20 eggs at a time.:p

Just an FYI for anyone who has this issue.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
cwt
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well that makes sense... egg predators. My cory female is looking kinda fat again, and when (if) she drops some more eggs I will check out the egg total.

So now what will you do with all those fry? ;0

Tags
cory, egg

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com