Cory eggs and some questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mayreee

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two bronze corys and eggs. How do you tell if the eggs have been fertilized? I forget. Also I can take out the only other fish in there (black molly) if needed. Will the corys eat their young? If there is two females in there will one still lay eggs? How long will the eggs take to hatch?

Thanks

the cories will eat their own eggs.... If fertilized they hatch in about 72 hours.. If you want them to hatch you have to move them in to a tank on their own...

Mooose

A really easy way to remove the egss is to use a turkey baster and you won't damage any of the eggs. Good luck!

Thanks Guys! Fawn, I will remember that for next time because I don't think they were fertilized :(

One more thing... will the corys still lay eggs if I happen to have two females? Or would there have to be a male in there for one to lay eggs?

I spent a couple of hours this morning watching one of my Cories laying several batches of eggs around the tank. I've found similar eggs before and have always wondered who the culprit was. Unfortunately, the other fish in the tank have quickly whittled them down to 2 remaining clumps, so I don't expect them to survive.

Having said that, it's just a joy to watch nature taking its course right next to my armchair! :D

All the eggs molded :( Maybe they will have better luck next time.

if you want them to hatch next time try a small breeder tank and a litte methyl blue to prevent fungus..

Moose

Back
Top Bottom