Cory Eggs Keep Getting Fungus or Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Moved to Freshwater Breeding.

Are the eggs getting enough aeration? If the water is stagnant, eggs will fungus up despite treatment. Have you tried methyl blue? Do you have a picture?

Egg fungus

I keep losing my eggs to a a hairy fungus or algea. I've tried api products to no avail. Pimafix and algeafix. What can I do ?:(

The best fungicide for eggs is still methalyne blue. It's been used for decades to prevent fungus from taking over dead eggs.
What you do need to know is if the eggs are dead then fungusing over OR if the fungus is taking over live eggs and killing them. Best suggestion, if you see a dead egg, use a long toothpick (I use the wooden sticks from the chinese grocery for hibatchi cooking) and pluck the egg so it is away from the live eggs.

Hope this helps...(y)

Andy Sager said:
The best fungicide for eggs is still methalyne blue. It's been used for decades to prevent fungus from taking over dead eggs.
What you do need to know is if the eggs are dead then fungusing over OR if the fungus is taking over live eggs and killing them. Best suggestion, if you see a dead egg, use a long toothpick (I use the wooden sticks from the chinese grocery for hibatchi cooking) and pluck the egg so it is away from the live eggs.

Hope this helps...(y)

Where are the eggs ? Separate tank ?

Depending on set up, some people add RCS Shrimp to help keep things clean.

You may want to repost on Planet Catfish and pick their brains as well.

How frustrating for you.

I has te same problem have never been able to hatch an egg, I'm going to try and let nature run its course next time and add some java moss for the eggs to be hidden in.

Eggs

Where are the eggs ? Separate tank ?

Depending on set up, some people add RCS Shrimp to help keep things clean.

You may want to repost on Planet Catfish and pick their brains as well.

How frustrating for you.

I have found with breeding fish, when you have egg scatterers, you remove the parents and leave the eggs, with egg layers, I move the eggs and leave the parents. For the catfish, I'd remove the parents and treat the water with methylene blue. Keep the water moving with a slight stream of air from an airstone. Even doing this, it is always best, whenever possible, to move dead eggs away from the live ones. A dead egg creates an area of foul water around it so why leave it close to good eggs? You might think that the area is a small thing but the egg within that zone sure doesn't. :brows:

RE using shrimps as egg cleaners, I've never used this method because my other methods have always worked. As a commercial breeder, I needed every possible egg to hatch so to me, using a scavenger (shrimp) to clean the eggs sounds chancey. There's nothing stopping the shrimp from eating or damaging the eggs. (Just my opinion :D)

Hope this explains things (y)

I have raised many many cories and what works for me everytime is this:

I use a small cereal bowl and place water from the aquarium in it. I use a few drops of fungicide ( have used various kinds all with sucess...currently using api). Next i place the bowl on the floor of my fishroom or on a low shelf somewhere where they will remain in the dark. I then place a large aurstone in the bowl and turn on the air pump. The water should be rolling with bubbles and the eggs will bounce around all over.

The key is to use shallow water in a small bowl, keep the eggs away from light, keep the eggs moving with bubbles, and use a fungicide.

I have been using this method for a long time and have almost 100% hatch rates.

If you use this method and all of your eggs still do not hatch I would question the fertility of your adult cories.

I hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom