Cory hybrids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggheadfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just curious if anyone had any species crossbreed.
From what I understand it's possible but uncommon, and mostly the eggs wouldn't be viable.
I got about 10 eggs yesterday, but noticed that it was one of my female metae laying them, and I only have females. I later saw her spawning with one of my trilineatus males. I kept them out of curiosity. Disclaimer: if for any reason they do hatch, I would never let them leave my personal tanks and they would be housed separately and not bred further.
Anyone hatch any hybrids out?

Well if anyone is curious I ended up with 13 eggs and now have 12 fry so this hybrid combo is possible.

Hybrid!! Pics or it didn't happen:p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok Brooks gotta boot up the laptop but I will post! They only hatched today so I'm really curious to see what kind of pattern develops.

Hehe.. I'm just playing wit cha.. photos of fry are impossible... progress pics will doo!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well here's the best I could do. I know for sure they're hybrids because all of my metae are females.
Mom & dad, egg dumping, and fry

Day 4 still alive though one is doing the whirligig so I'm not sure it will make it.
Found more eggs when I got back from a 2 day vacay but I don't know who they belong to so I'm not bothering with them.
Added another metae to my main tank, and it's still young but I think I finally got a male!

Don't deny those eggs! I would hatch them anyway. It's so cool. Cool hybrids as well. I've about had it with cory's, they just aren't able to survive in my tank. Contract a parasite after 1-2 months in my tank. Anyway, that's really sweet! And hatch those eggs!

Nils - I would but without knowing who laid them I don't know where to put them. If they were pure metae or trilineatus I would hatch them out with the parents, if they're hybrids I would segregate them with the others. I plan on selling some of the fry I raise at the local LFS for store credit, and I don't want to put impure blood into the trade. Worst case I guess I could just hatch them with the hybrids and keep them with me or give to friends....okay maybe I will do that :) It was only 12 more eggs anyway.
Sorry to hear about your cories...losing them is very frustrating. I found that when mine had health problems it was due to a lack of a sufficient cleaning schedule...my substrate was way too dirty for them. After that, hit or miss. Some do fine, others don't. I've had the worst luck with pandas.

I lost two bronze recently, but my panda is doing well. Lonely though...
I need more, but I'm reluctant to introduce more fish as I think my tank could be too crowded as it is..

Hey! Good timing I've been off the threads for a while. Yes I still have seven of them, doing great.
They are colored like the metae but have some black spotting on them, they may still grow out of that yet but it's pretty cool. They're much smaller than I expected.
One of them is a dent head, it's skull looks kinda caved in I don't know if that is a birth defect or injury when it was developing but I'll post pics shortly.

Back
Top Bottom