Corycat behaviour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave88

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 3 copycats unknown what sex they are.
I have them in a 190l tank with plenty of hidden bits and foliage. In the last 2 weeks all 3 that were normally active and all over the place have suddenly become recluse and only stay at the entrance to a log cave thing. One is always at the entrance?
Is this indication they are breeding or laying eggs?
I have never kept them before so I don't their traits

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

No this is not breeding behavior at all. I'd get a water reading from the bottom of the tank. Pull a sample with a piece of airline using it like a dropper. You may have water issues. There is something wrong for sure, have you changed anything? Have you added decorations as sometimes they are not 100% aquarium safe?

Corys are egg scatterers and chase eachother wildly when in spawning mode. They also tend to eat eggs as fast as they lay them.

I've recently added some more plants that I have had before from my LFS. Water parameters are all in order done a test 2days ago.
Apart from the plants everything is the same??

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have one and nope they are just sitting there go out for food with one always guarding the cave thing

Staying near cave means it is afraid. Something is scaring them. Could be visual stimulus or tactile (vibrational) stimulus causing the anxiety.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Would a red tail black shark and clown loaches do it?

Clown loach are friendly but red tailed black shark and rainbow shark are aggressive bottom dwelling species that will harass your Cory. Not a good mix.

They been together for 4 months and all has been good. I've just changed from sand to soil and gravel yesterday and they seem to be back to themselves again now

They been together for 4 months and all has been good. I've just changed from sand to soil and gravel yesterday and they seem to be back to themselves again now

Re-scaping will "reset" established territories and territorial behavior, but your problem might reoccur in a couple of weeks. Keep a close eye on that red tailed shark...

Will do. Nearly lost him when changing it over! He decided to jump out the water and found him half way across the carpet. Lucky I came in the room again when I did

Back
Top Bottom