CPD with Eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AliSab

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think I have a cpd full of eggs but don't want to count my eggs before they've hatched, so to speak. Is there anyone who has successfully bred cpd fish that would be able to tell me if I have an egg filled fish or if she's just eating too much?

All the cpd I have are small and slender as you would expect a fish to be, and then this one just seems to have a huge belly, and it's been like that for a few days. I've also noticed that she seems to be hiding out a lot on the feathery plants I have and I think that it might be because she's laying eggs if in fact that is what's going on.

In one she's right beside the filter intake swimming with her tetra brethren.

IMG_7449.jpg

IMG_7440.jpg

Here's an easy way to tell if she is gravid: Once you feed, the fish will get larger, overnight the fish will use up the food it has eaten. If tomorrow morning, before being fed, the fish is still as large as it is now, it would be gravid. ( assuming that it were not a disease such as dropsy.)
Keep in mind however, just because the fish is gravid does not mean it will spawn in your tank or that you will have CPD fry. Fish can be gravid their entire lives and not spawn. Please read my sticky at the top of this forum " Is my fish pregnant: a newbie must read." (y)

I'm just wondering if she's holding eggs that's all. Not really interested in breeding, and all of the fish were slender when I got them several weeks ago, this is the only one that's suddenly gotten larger and stayed that way. She's behaving normally otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom