Crossbreeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LCsMum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone here successfully crossbred a guppy with a molly or balloon belly molly? I was talking to a lady earlier who said she had, but she didn't have any pics and i'm not sure she's a reliable source. After googling, 50% of people say it's not possible, 50% say it is...

its definitely possible, people call them muppies. though a lot of people, including myself, believe intentionally cross breeding fish is a disgrace to the hobby

its definitely possible, people call them muppies. though a lot of people, including myself, believe intentionally cross breeding fish is a disgrace to the hobby

My male guppy has been chasing my female balloon bellies. I read that it could kill them if they got pregnant with a guppy- so i got worried. It wasn't intentional, but at least i feel a little better knowing it is possible/successful. Not like i can change it if they're pregnant. I've already started cycling a new tank so i can move the guppy out, but until then...

good job on separating. i had a giant angelfish tryed to breed with a discus and had to separate them also

good job on separating. i had a giant angelfish tryed to breed with a discus and had to separate them also

unfortunately, my other tank just started cycling Saturday... can't do much until it's good to go. Since they're different species, I didn't think it would be a problem to be together... guess I should have asked sooner.

Guppies, mollies, and platy's will all try to breed. It's usually the male guppies that are after the other breeds. I've never had it kill or injure any of my fish so I really don't know how some people are saying its dangerous.

I have researched guppy/molly hybrids and found several people who are doing it. Makes for some interesting fish. I currently have male guppies in with female mollies and male mollies. The only problem I had was the male mollies killed the guppies when they started chasing the female mollies. Guess they didn't like the competition. :( I saw a lot of post about how bad it was to crossbreed but searching the internet I found many people who had done it successfully and had healthy offspring from it. I think it would be unethical to sell such offspring without disclosure but if the resulting fish are healthy than do what you feel comfortable with. horses and donkeys are crossed all the time and produce healthy mules. Some say the offspring of guppy/mollies are sterile but some say they are not. I suspect it has to do with what male and female you cross. I am separating mine because I want pure mollies and guppies. Though my guppies are endler/ guppy crosses.

It's entirely possible and sometimes quite likely.that's why it's generally recommended that you not keep female guppies in a tank with male mollies: molly fry grow far too big for a female guppy to carry full term and almost always kill the mother in the process. Male guppy-female molly crosses can happen very safely though, but they are almost always sexually sterile. Also, the unique characteristics of both the guppy side and the molly side get muddied up in the cross and you end up with bland yellowish fish that don't stand out at all.

It's entirely possible and sometimes quite likely.that's why it's generally recommended that you not keep female guppies in a tank with male mollies: molly fry grow far too big for a female guppy to carry full term and almost always kill the mother in the process. Male guppy-female molly crosses can happen very safely though, but they are almost always sexually sterile. Also, the unique characteristics of both the guppy side and the molly side get muddied up in the cross and you end up with bland yellowish fish that don't stand out at all.

I must be lucky then as I've had m&f platy, guppy and Molly all in the same tank only pairing up with the same species , thank god !!!! Now no males ;) they have been rehomed ,

Back
Top Bottom