"Culling Fish"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tinyninjafishy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am interested in breeding and have realized that I will not have enough space to keep all of the fry and grown out fish, so I understand that I will have to cull some of the fish in order to keep them healthy and looking the way I want them to.

Does anybody have good suggestions for a fish to feed all the culled fish to? It would be best if it could fit in a 37.5 gal tank.

Thanks!

Many carnivorous and omnivorous fish will become opportunistic piscavores when the chance is presented. But, you could also use the tank as a grow-out tank for your fry and take them to a local fish store when they grow a bit. Depending on the species, you may even get a bit of store credit.

Yeah I have grow out tanks, but I don't think it will be enough to keep raise fish to the age at which you can sell.

Find someone with some big Oscars or Arawanna(s) or the like and give the culls to them. (y) It's either many smaller aggressive fish or a couple of really large fish that will handle the amount of fry you will probably be culling. :(

Makes sense. My buddy has two peacock bass in a 125 so I think that they will likely be the source of culling. Save him on fish food and me on space haha

Back
Top Bottom