Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

CW016 - C. teniente - First Recorded Spawning

Greetings Fellow Fish Lovers.

I am excited and proud to inform you that after a year of waiting, my CW016 (C. teniente) have produced exactly 254, of what appear to be, viable eggs, this morning. Additionally, we are actually watching the spawning taking place at this very moment. I was a bit hesitant to announce the news - so as to not jinx myself in actually getting fry, but my attitude is that oftentimes the first spawning of any Cory group is unsuccessful as it can take them a few times to get it right. Now that I know they are capable of spawning, I will be disappointed if the first spawn fails, but confident that they will get it right, eventually.

Spawning is in the usual Cory fashion, but all eggs have been laid on broad leaves and roots of floating plants. No eggs, as of yet, have been deposited on the glass or the bottom of the tank. Eggs are medium size and laid in flat groups of 8 to 10 on the leaves and individually in the roots. This specie supposedly comes from an area devoid of plant life, so I find this a bit curious.

We are currently waiting for all spawning activity to cease so we can remove the adults from the tank. I plan to leave 50% of the eggs in the current tank and move the remaining eggs into a tank that has eggs hatching almost everyday, from various other species.

I was very thrilled when my C. weitzmani spawned, but that took only a few months after acquiring them. This group has taken about a year, almost to the day, to produce eggs. This leads me to believe that they are more than likely, annual spawners.

October 12th will mark my 50th anniversary of raising tropical fish. I would be less than honest if I did not tell you that this is without a doubt the most excited I have ever been, in that entire time. I can't sit in the chair to type.

I truly feel that this specie is one of the most beautiful Corys I have ever had the pleasure to keep. Hopefully I will be able to propagate this fish in significant numbers to start supplying some to other breeders in a concerted effort to make this fish available to more hobbyist, at a more affordable price.

Thank you for allowing me to share my good fortune with all of you.

Warmest regards,

Frank

P.S. Really, now. Isn't this one of the most beautiful Corys you have ever laid eyes on???

Old 09-22-2007, 08:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
Oh, congrats congrats congrats! thats simply amazing.

And 50 years of fishkeeping, wow. I am so thrilled for you.

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
WaterPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:52 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Congrats to you Frank. It's due to the perseverance of folks such as yourself that make this hobby what it is.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Congrats Frank. You are an inspiration to one such as myself that has 3 years only under my belt. What an exciting spawn!

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Congrats!! That is incredible.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Eggs Hatching

Greetings. The eggs have been hatching for the past 24 hours and they are still hatching across all 4 tanks they were placed in. Very, very pleased. Probably at least 60 total - so far. - Frank
Old 09-26-2007, 04:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
WOW, congrats and good parenting!

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

First Macro Pic of CW016 Fry at 10 Days

Greetings. As promised. The fry are doing very well. - Frank

Old 10-06-2007, 09:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Congratulations! Nice pic!
Old 11-15-2007, 08:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! How do you get such nice pic's? What kind of camera do you use?
I have never really been "in" to corries, but that is a species i would keep. Congrats on your fifty years, i just made 10 around 2 months ago on my 14th b-day. Keep up on the pic's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tags
spawning

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com