Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-13-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Daisy rice fish fry !

I might have some live fry, after I'd pretty much lost all hope of it happening.

I lost Bubblebutt, my female Rice fish, perhaps because I didn't ever separate her from her male and she spawned non stop all summer. She simply vanished last week, and I suspect she died and was eaten by the cherry shrimp. So I'd given up hope of seeing any live fry, but this morning, I saw one.

Just one, a tiny, tiny little thing, just below the surface. I tried to catch it in a container so I could put it in a separate tank, but it vanished, so I got a net and removed the male Rice fish, as they are known to eat their fry, though not the eggs.

I feed them a lot of live food but I still didn't want to risk he might eat this tiny thing. I wonder if that's what happened to any fry that may have hatched before now, though the tank is densely packed with mosses and ambulia for fry to hide in and for eggs to be laid on.

Anyway, I am hoping now there may be more than one and now the Dad is not there, perhaps I'll see them if they get a bit larger. Fingers crossed!

Tags
fish, fry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com