Dalmatian/Ballon Molly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Superfish425

Aquarium Advice Regular
About a month ago I noticed that someone in my tank had babies. I assumed it was my panda platy but as the fry are growing up I'm noticing they are looking more and more like my Dalmatian Molly. Only problem is the only other Molly in my tank is a balloon Molly is it possible for a balloon Molly and a Dalmatian to breed? Or maybe a Molly and a platy?

So what could have mated with my Dalmatian Molly? Or do panda platys start out with spots?

How long have you have the dalmation Molly? Because they only have to mate once and can give birth multiple times for up to 6 months

I've had her for About 5-6months. But my panda platy now has a big belly so maybe they are hers...

The fry I have are almost as big as the panda platy so maybe the Dalmatian was holding for awhile. The fry are about 1.5months old. Here is one of the Dalmatian looking one. Others are black and smaller ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402956231.433584.jpg

Why is it that balloon mollies are sterile? I got 7 of them a while ago, I ended up wit 6 female and a male, all the females had babies for me recently

Most if them, not all of them. Balloons arnt really a different species, they were inbred over and over until they had extreme spine issues. As a result, of suck extreme inbreeding most of them cannot breed.

Oh, didn't know that. But their fry didn't have a great survival rate. About 30fry were had between all 6 if the females and just 3 healthy survived. The rest were weak and died quickly. I didn't hav this kind of thing happen with any of my guppy fry

So apparently I did the impossible. My Dalmatian Molly and balloon did breed. Half the fry are balloon and half are Dalmatian who would have guess it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom