dalmatian molly had babies, very weak now, is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah04455

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We are new to the aquarium world. I bought several fish app. 4 weeks ago. Yesterday one of my dalmatian mollies had babies. They quickly disappeared, not sure if they are just hiding or if they gotten eaten as I suspect. My poor girl seems in distress. She is up near the surface and acting very weak (tail sagging) . The other mollies will not leave her alone. I am expecting her to die is there anything I can do for her besides remove her from the tank or is this normal?

We are new to the aquarium world. I bought several fish app. 4 weeks ago. Yesterday one of my dalmatian mollies had babies. They quickly disappeared, not sure if they are just hiding or if they gotten eaten as I suspect. My poor girl seems in distress. She is up near the surface and acting very weak (tail sagging) . The other mollies will not leave her alone. I am expecting her to die is there anything I can do for her besides remove her from the tank or is this normal?
Hi Sarah and welcome to AA. There could be a few reasons for this. Did you cycle the tank before adding the fish or did you just add the fish as soon as you set it up??...Ian

tank cycling

Well we had the tank cycling for aprox. 5 days before we got any fish. We ended up putting way to many in at first. So I have had an amonia spike. I have been treating the tank and doing small water changes of 10 gallons of spring water due to having hard water at my house. I am reading at 4.0 and been testing daily.

Well we had the tank cycling for aprox. 5 days before we got any fish. We ended up putting way to many in at first. So I have had an amonia spike. I have been treating the tank and doing small water changes of 10 gallons of spring water due to having hard water at my house. I am reading at 4.0 and been testing daily.
Ok, well it can take around 8wks to cycle a tank..You probably know that now...Can you post some more details of your set-up, Tank size, stock, is it a water test kit or strips...
I would guess she is acting like this as she would be weak from birthing and the ammonia at 4(very high) is going to damage her. I would be doing at least 50% water changes daily..This might sound extreme to you but the ammonia will literally burn and damage their gills. She could be up at the top trying to get some air...I doubt the fry will survive but by doing the water changes and testing you could save your current stock...Please post your tank details and you will get a lot more reply's....Ian

Thanks

Just posted info on my tank. Thanks. I am also testing the ammonia with the single test tube kit and i am doing the strip test for everything else.

In my profile, under tanks.
Wow, imo you are overstocked. If you pm librarygirl(below), she will be able to advise you much better than i could. She has ALOT more experience than me and really knows her stuff..She is also very nice and i'm sure will happily help you...Sorry i couldn't be more help, but you'll be in good hands with librarygirl. Let me know how you get on, as, if needed, there is other people i could recommend to you...Ian
(Just copy and paste your orginal post and send it to librarygirl)
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - View Profile: librarygirl

Back
Top Bottom