Danio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jara209

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can someone please tell me if she is pregnant cause when I first got her she wasn't like this but the male fish in the tank isn't the father so I'm scared he might eat the babies...please tell me what I have to do...

Attachments

• image-392533274.jpg
    image-392533274.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 119
Isn't that a zebra Danio? They lay eggs. The females don't get pregnant like guppies do.

I'd say very overfed.

And, they eat anything they can get their mouths on, including their eggs and fry. Even the mother and father will eat their own.

allaboutfish said:
even egg layers will have that bulge my cory had that b4 she layed eggs

I didn't think it was that huge though. My danios have bred and it's never been that big.

i would have to agree that it's just bloated. if you look you can tell that her belly is lumpy. that's what my tetras look like after they gorge themselves. just blanch some peas, pop them out of the shell, and smoosh a couple of them up into the tank, that will help with the bloating :) i feed peas once a week to keep my fishies regular ;)

Is sink water healthy for fish or do I have to put like bottled water Im 12 so I'm cunfused

Jara209 said:
Is sink water healthy for fish or do I have to put like bottled water Im 12 so I'm cunfused

As long as you use a good conditioner, and your tap water isn't like crazy Hightower in anything bad, it should be fine. Most people use tap water.

Jara209 said:

Someone told me something about stress water something like that but I don't know what that is

was it stress coat or stress zhyme? stress coat is a dechlorinator that i use,and stress zhyme is supposed to help with beneficial bacteria.

Danios like soft water... I'd go to walmart and get some reverse osmosis water, then mix it half and half in your aquarium so that their water is a bit softer than it would be coming out of your tap =) This is the water usually that you take in empty gallons and refill it if you are wondering!

Danios like soft water... I'd go to walmart and get some reverse osmosis water, then mix it half and half in your aquarium so that their water is a bit softer than it would be coming out of your tap =) This is the water usually that you take in empty gallons and refill it if you are wondering!

I have a shoal of danios in hard water (7.8 pH/12 KH) and don't have any problems. IMO you want to be careful when messing with anything that can affect the pH.

I wouldn't mess with the water either. Softening the water might help with breeding, but it's never been something that I've intentionally done, and my danios breed constantly as long as they are healthy and well fed. My danio choprai breed almost on a daily basis.

Egg layers don't get pregnant, the females get full of eggs. That fish looks maybe a bit overfed or bloated, just hold off on feeding for a few days and see if it looks better. They definitely eat their own eggs and fry, if you have a heavily planted tank you might get lucky and have some survivors.

I make egg traps to catch the eggs and then hatch them in a separate tank. It works great.

Back
Top Bottom