Decided to call it quits on the salty side and breed betta fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dylanp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’m just bored with salt water I’ve experimented in the passed with some cheap Walmart crown tails just for fun and am considering getting into some of the more expensive designer bettas bought my first on eBay today I’m a little sketched out buying from eBay but thought I’d give it a try. Just wondering if anyone has some good tips on what works best for them and what their experience is/was with the profitability on even breeding bettas

IMG_2024.jpg this is him hopefully he shows up alive and as the picture shows

Doing what you enjoy most in fish and tank keeping is what you should do. It is good that you realize SW wasn't right for you at this time. Maybe later. Maybe never.

Keeping baby Bettas is a HUGE chore, and sadly, I doubt you will break even over the costs of breeding them. About 7 years ago I found out a person whe was a Betta breeder had moved to a location next to where a relative lived who I was going to be visiting. She gave me a tour a little tour and I got to see a couple Betta fish champions and some Beautiful fish.

Probably paid too much for the 2 fish I bought, though not paying for shipping or trans shipping figured into the purchase. One was a gift for the relative. The breeder spent a good amount of time with me discussing everything, so I also thought it was a valuable transaction. $35.00 each.

It is possible to go on the the show circuit and gain some show cred.
https://www.ibcbettas.org/

Otherwise, getting some beautiful fish and getting the lfs to carry your fish when they are grown enough. Otherwise a very tough road. You get lots of babies all at one time, plus they all look very similar (making it harder to sell larger numbers to one store) and it is something which requires so much room/space and pwc to full water changes almost each day when the babies are growing. Somewhat dependent on how your set up is.

A serious Betta breeder position will require a huge commitment, and a little time to get established. On the other hand just being a high quality Betta breeder and sharing your culled, higher than the local pet store version fish/product will allow some income. People will be interested in fine quality fish.

Just many would rather get something cheap as a decoration, and get rid of it when the newness wears off.

You have to consider a Betta is a entry level fish keeping "pet". So many people do not know how to keep them properly, which you could help with of course. But you can't MAKE them care enough sometimes when the newness wears off, or the work of keeping them healthy interferes with other more interesting or fun things.

Culling is a hard side issue.

Thanks for the input I did do salt water for a number of years so cost definitely isn’t a problem I’d regularly spend 150 to 200 every time I made an order on supplies/ coral/ fish or aquariums. I’m doing this entirely for the experience maybe I like it maybe I don’t if I make even a little profit I’ll be happy. I’m not sure what you bought but I’ve seen some betta fish up to 130 so 35 isn’t bad once you get passed the 3 to 6 dollar veiled and crown tails at Walmart. I’m gonna give it a go and if I’m successful you’ll see some of my stuff in the forsale section. Also I have an idea I would like advice or suggestions on. I have this kiddy pool I was thinking of putting the fry in with some sponge filters might be over kill but I figured more water would make it easier to keep the water clean might mix a few of them together and just take them out once I’m able to tell what they are

Also I have a guy who does printing so I want to have a proper care sheet printed on the lids of the container

They were slightly different colors, in the electric blue for one and the other was blue green turquoise rays - black orchid Crowntails. Just fancy pet fish, from good stock, not the expensive up and coming breeders stock variety. Much more quality apparent in them then the big box offerings. Solid stocky bodies, obviously properly fed and cared for. It was maybe 6 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom