decorations or not... that is the question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vamptramp3405

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok sooooo, I am having a huge debate with myself. I have a bunch of mollies and platties and they are producing babies. but I want to keep them and put them in my cycled 10 gallon tank for the babies. BUT if i have all the decorations and plants like i do in my tank I can never find the babies and usually have to take everything out to find the babies but if I dont have all the decorations and only a couple plants I only end up with like 3 babies cause the rest r getting eaten. what do you guys do??? I have breeder boxes but im still learning as to when to put momma in them to drop fry. I want everyones opinion and ways they do this please!:fish2:

Well i put my mom molly in the breeder net when she looks fat enough, if nothing happens for a couple days i put her back in the tank and watch her. I feel it's a safer bet.

When you think the female is close move her to the ten gallon tank. She will have the babies in peace and you do not have to chase fry.

How do I know when she is ready? I mean I have a platy that is HUGE but has been that way for quite some time and I keep putting her in the breeder tank but she wont have babies. And wont they eat the babies that are already in the 10 gallon?

She might if they are small. You need to be able to rotate fry or just raise a batch at a time. They get square looking at the back end when they are ready to drop.

ok well what I did was put the breeder boxes into the fry tank and put the mommas in that, and as soon as momma pops I can take her out and put her back into the community tank and that way the babies are already acclimated to the water they will be living in. I usually only keep my females in the breeder box over night cause ive never had one give birth during the day, we shall see what happens!

It's only for a couple baby mollies, so they don't eaten by the adults. I would never put more than like 2 adults in a ten gallon lol. It's just for babies :) my adults r in a 55 gallon

Vamptramp3405 said:
It's only for a couple baby mollies, so they don't eaten by the adults. I would never put more than like 2 adults in a ten gallon lol. It's just for babies :) my adults r in a 55 gallon

Still even two mollies is a bit much. They have big bioloads.

I'm not keeping any adults in the 10 gallon for longer than a couple of hours, I appreciate your guys help but geez I didn't know I was gonna get the third degree. I know lots of people who keep their tanks overstocked but I'm not one of them, I'm just trying to figure out what's best for the momma and babies. I don't wanna kill anything and I want everyone happy :)

Back
Top Bottom