Depressing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lanasfishies96

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I left my pregnant guppy in the breeding box while I went to work came home she had, had them then must have eaten them all...

I had a hamster that did that. Nasty business. Thank goodness my mom wasn't hungry.

Thankfully lol I had a teacher who used to say "now I know why lions eat their young" lol

I have never tried to breed fish. Reading about them eating their eggs and their babies is way to creepy for me. I'll stick to my [emoji222] and [emoji494] babies.

Well Lana that is awfully sad. But on the other hand you have a Guppy which will be pregnant now, and as a point of interest somehow they can store up the males sperm or what have you and can give birth frequently for about 6 months or more from the previous encounters.

So, you will likely have another shot at babies, over and over again!!! You will be able to research and get some practice. You will probably have so many more Guppies than you will know what to with!

There are other kinds of breeder boxes which allow the babies to end up separated from the momma. Personally I don't care for the breeder nets for housing pregnant mommas. It seems in my observations, it stresses the momma and they like to swim a bunch, and being stuck with little room makes them unhappy. I will also feed my momma fish, at least offer a few little pellets a few times because she's doing hard work!

Often a birthing tank is a good option with lots of plants just everywhere near the top area and lots near the bottom so that the babies will find a good hiding spot. It can be a bare bottom tank or with just a light amount of substrate to just cover the glass.

Good luck with the next batch!

I have fry and i have separated the male so I don't get over run and I have been breeding fry for quite a while and this is the first time this has happened. I also have the box that separates them but them must have gone back up. IMG_0027.JPG

Man I don't even mess with breeder boxes or anything like that and I have a very high fry survival rate. My tanks are heavily planted and have prefilters though. Plenty of places to hide. One of my guppies just gave birth last night so I have like30- 50 little buggers. Wasn't expecting such a large batch. [emoji51]

Back
Top Bottom