Desert Goby issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paxus811

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi first post and I apologize ahead of time for potentially unruly grammar. So I have one male 2 female desert gobies going on 3 months now. They are doing great except I have had them spawn maybe 8 or 9 times in my pvc. However if I leave the eggs in for the male to tend to (which he does religiously) within 72 hours they are solid white fuzzy fungus blobs. So naturally I started removing the eggs to a separate breeding 5 gallon with heater and bubblers. Fungus every time in 48 hours. So I added the chemical methane blue (if that's how its spelled ) hoping to cure my egg ills. Nope, fungus like clock work within 72 hours. So I am getting discouraged and hoping someone knows what I am doing wrong. Thank you so much.

I haven't seen the eggs, do you have any pics of the eggs, but are they white like a pearl or clear/amber/tan (but not faceted).

First to wonder if they were fertilized properly.

Usually the problem is the cave is enclosed at the end and there is limited flow to the eggs. I recently had this happen with BN Plecos.

You can use a removeable cap in the PVC, and remove it for better circulation.

They where amber colored more or less. Yeah I took the cap off the pvc when removing the eggs from the male. I'd show you a picture but the current grouping are obviously covered heavily in fungus so there is no point. A couple times they got far enough along I could see the little eyes, and then boom death by fungus.

After the egg are laid how many days until you remove them from the male? The fish will be fanning water to keep them fresh / not let the water sit. So I'm thinking you need to point the tube in such a way to make sure flow is circling through the pipe also an additional airstone. Near them.

Originally I was waiting a couple,days but once that obviously wasnt working (he was still fanning them even after the got fungus and then would eventually eat them) I started taking them out 24 hours after first noticed. In the 5 gallon I have an 18 inch airstrip/stone and I put the pvc so the opening has bubbles go right past it. After a couple times of that not working I started doing the same thing but took an additional small air stone and actually stuck it in the pvc on the opposite end to ensure flow, but no dice.

That leaves me wondering...???

Melafix perhaps. I do not know...!

I would think they aren't getting properly fertilized. Except you mentioned that you could see eyes at one point.

How is water quality in the tank, right before these get fungused? Temp?

Often a bad egg(s) not removed will cause others to fungus. Maybe he isn't very good at fertilizing them, or since he's younger doesn't posess enough vigor to cover the whole batch yet?

Just grasping at straws here!!!

Back
Top Bottom