Detritus. Need cleaning but fry...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolance

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm pretty sure I have detritus all in my tank because of the plants and no filtration. I am not using filter because of the way this fluval view filter is set up. I am waiting for a sponge filter to come in but I have to tiny white worms everywhere. They are about the thickness of hair and some are very short some longer. They are on everything and i read that they will deplete the fish of oxygen. How can I clean the tank and run the filter for a little while without harming the fry? They are a couple days old. Think I can out them in a bucket with a bubbler?

small chineese algae eaters will clean your tank up spotless, as will snails. They both eat detritus.

Please do a lot of research on CHINESE Algae eaters before making that choice. There are other fish which are possibly better suited for that. Probably need to cut back on feeding.

I was told to think of their eye as their stomach. They will over eat because they can, and act hungry even if they don't really need food.

Cleaning the substrate on a continuing basis will help clean them up too.

There is a treatment you could use, but I would not recommend it unless you can not stand them Deitrus worms will not harm your fry, if you are sure that's what they are.

I'm sure that's what they are. Can I vacuum with the fry still in the tank? What fish would work better? Cory's?

I'm sure that's what they are. Can I vacuum with the fry still in the tank? What fish would work better? Cory's?

I think the Cories would eat the ones in the gravel, but not the floating ones so much.

You can vacuum with the fry in the tank. You could also wait if you feel like they are too small.

You should get the filter back on, just use a clean new knee high pantyhose, or if you are near a fish store, a prefilter sponge for the intake.

Clean water is very important.

There is a treatment for the worms, but maybe the fry are eating them, so maybe don't worry. What kind of fry?

Glofish danios. I don't have a regular hang on back filter. I have the fluval view. It's built in. Can't sponge it. My sponge filter should come in weds

There are over 50 fry in there only a couple days old. There are little tiny worms all over the entire tank and even floating in and on top of the water. It is covered.

Attachments

• image-852155522.jpg
    image-852155522.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 64
I would do 50% pwc into bucket or bowl, just to make sure the babies have good water.

With that small of tank you can use a cup to scoop, but if you are trying to get out the worms, a tube would be better or vac. If you get any babies net them and put them back.

Your sponge will not allow sucking up many worms, but will help the fry.

I have a thread on treating Planaria with liquid Goat dewormer, works on all the worms too. Tiny dosage, and didn't hurt my snails or shrimp, even the baby shrimp were fine.

Back
Top Bottom