Did I do something stupid???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlover101

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have a platty, Oasis, who had her first "batch" about a 3 weeks ago. A couple days ago I thought that she was going to have her second "batch" because of some labor signs for livebearers that I have been researching online for. I didn't even think that she was going to have her second batch soon, because it wasnt really a month after her first. I totally freaked out and thought I was seeing one of the babies come out. I didn't want the other fish in the tank to eat them, so I quickly scooped her up and put her into the breeding box. I got nothing after that. Did I hurt her or did I possibly kill the baby when I transferred her? Was it a stupid thing to do?
:confused: :( :confused: :nono: :confused:

fishlover101 said:
So I have a platty, Oasis, who had her first "batch" about a 3 weeks ago. A couple days ago I thought that she was going to have her second "batch" because of some labor signs for livebearers that I have been researching online for. I didn't even think that she was going to have her second batch soon, because it wasnt really a month after her first. I totally freaked out and thought I was seeing one of the babies come out. I didn't want the other fish in the tank to eat them, so I quickly scooped her up and put her into the breeding box. I got nothing after that. Did I hurt her or did I possibly kill the baby when I transferred her? Was it a stupid thing to do?
:confused: :( :confused: :nono: :confused:

She could be holding on due to stress... OR you saw a giant poo OR (this once happened to me) she was miscarrying and it looked like birth.. One of my females once aborted the entire lot.. Was strange.. They all came out in an entire pinkish sack.

If nothing happens within 24 hrs of putting in box then take her out...

Yeah shes out of the breeder now ,but I kept and eye on her all night while she was in it. It kind of looked like a bubble at first and then turned pink and the by the time a actually found my net it got pointy a little the poof it was gone. ( it was kind of gross,eww... and mysterious)

fishlover101 said:
Yeah shes out of the breeder now ,but I kept and eye on her all night while she was in it. It kind of looked like a bubble at first and then turned pink and the by the time a actually found my net it got pointy a little the poof it was gone. ( it was kind of gross,eww... and mysterious)

Look at the pink red sac hanging from her vent... Look like this??

View attachment 68542

Yeah,pretty much but a little smaller not as big although my fish is just small period . No matter what fish you put her with she looks itty bitty but if any fish pick on her she just picks right back. She was the runt of another "batch" i got her from a friend.
:D

that should be ok if it's a one time thing, but if that becomes a problem you really shouldn't breed her anymore.

fishlover101 said:
Yeah,pretty much but a little smaller not as big although my fish is just small period . No matter what fish you put her with she looks itty bitty but if any fish pick on her she just picks right back. She was the runt of another "batch" i got her from a friend.
:D

Yea sounds like she aborted... Cut her loose in the tank again :)

Back
Top Bottom