Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Diferent fry colors.

While ago we got a dalmation Molly for our twenty-eight gallon bow front and found out that it was pregnant. After it gave birth all of the fry were black, not a single spotted one. It didn't strike me as odd then but now that one of the babies (currently in my ten gallon) is nearly full grown I don't understand why none of the fry had spots. Is this when breeding fish or was our Mollie a unique case? I would also like to hear any stories people have of other odd things happening when breeding.

The really cool thing is that the edges of the gill covers on the baby now are silver/whitish in color giving it an all around funky look.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxkolbe
While ago we got a dalmation Molly for our twenty-eight gallon bow front and found out that it was pregnant. After it gave birth all of the fry were black, not a single spotted one. It didn't strike me as odd then but now that one of the babies (currently in my ten gallon) is nearly full grown I don't understand why none of the fry had spots. Is this when breeding fish or was our Mollie a unique case? I would also like to hear any stories people have of other odd things happening when breeding.

The really cool thing is that the edges of the gill covers on the baby now are silver/whitish in color giving it an all around funky look.
This is an easy question to Answr. The male molly that mated w the female had a dominant gene of black. Therefor, the dilation gene is resesive. I found out similar results when I mated a orange male swordtail with a black tail to a pink female with a black tail and the fish came out poringe in color with black tails, so the gens mixed, although the female genes were more prominent. Simple as that

Old 12-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks
Old 12-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxkolbe
Thanks
Your welcome

Tags
colors, fry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com