Difference between these male guppies??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jess

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello! I am wanted to breed a female guppy! I have two potential candidates but they are both VERY different. Just wanting to know more about these two males.( one has a huge pretty tail while the other has way more colours, smaller tail etc) I am posting the female as well so even if someone who does breed could give some tips on which would come out with better colouring. Thanks!!

Attachments

• image-908316281.jpg
    image-908316281.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 109
  • image-1233618013.jpg
    image-1233618013.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 106
  • image-1621384796.jpg
    image-1621384796.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 113
Not my tank. The males belong to another pet owner in town. Whats the issue?? I can let them know

Only the female belongs to me :)

Wel to start goldfish are cold water fish and need low temps, and guppies are tropical fish and need high temps. Also, the goldfish Likly is gonna outgrow the tank

Ill let them no. I know this is their first time with guppies as well so they probably had no idea. I always thought goldfish grow to fit the size of their tank no?? (Ie your goldfish would grow bigger in a 30g vs a 5g) q

Growing to fit the tank is actually called stunting. Any fish can be stunted in a too small aquarium. The body stops growing but the organs and such keep going. Eventually something gets too cramped, or touches something it shouldn't, so the fish will die.

Oooo see i wasnt aware of that. I had goldfish before 6 of them in a 45 gallon and they did get fairly big but not huge. Huh! Learn something new everyday!

You know the person who owns the males use to have two goldfish in that tank before the guppies and one day one of them just died out of nowhere. Had it less then a year. Maybe thats what happened? Crazy. I will definatly let them know about this to prevent it from happening again

Not sure but I see you have a gold fish in with the guppies? Problem...

I honestly don't see this as a problem, people set up outdoor ponds all of the time with a stock consisting of Guppies and Goldies.
But the OP didn't ask about the Goldie, they asked about the Guppies so maybe we should answer their question first before deciding to pick apart the tank.

Jess, I like the greenish one, he's very pretty but in all honesty it seems that your female looks slightly gravid as is, so you may not have to worry about choosing a male for her. :)

Ya the green tailed male has the potential je ne sais qua to him. But I'm not to sure on trying to do a 1:1 mating ratio. I would add another female or two just so that poor girl doesn't you know get all strung out from being hounded like she's the only girl in town

Well the female i chose hasnt been exposed to any males yet so i know that she isnt pregnant yet. I will be isolating her and the male of choice in their own tank and hoping all goes well.

I'm always a fan of guppies with gorgeous tails like that. The other male, is somewhat a little more common. They are very bright, yes, but the massive fan tail is less common, and in my opinion gorgeous.

If you just got the female from a pet store like petsmart or petco it is highly likely to already be prego. we just got 3 female guppies today and they are all prego

A large green delta like the first male will go best with the black tuxedo female. Also, if the parent fish are large, generally the fry will be more vigorous.

No i got her as a 2 week old fry so i know for sure that she has not been around males as i do not own any. The two males above belong to someone else. And both are small in stature.

No i got her as a 2 week old fry so i know for sure that she has not been around males as i do not own any. The two males above belong to someone else. And both are small in stature.

What colors exactly do you want?

I like the second male since hes navy blue and red and pink but i love the tail of the first male!! If i could combine them i would. I have decided already though and have gone with the more coloured male. We will see in time if it works!

Back
Top Bottom