Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Disappearing Angelfish Younglings

I have 4 tanks: a 55g, a high 40g, amd 2 10gs. 10g: empty; 10g: 1 female betta, 4 white cloud mountian minnows; 40g: 50-60 krib fry, 6 white clouds; 55g: 1 pair breeding angelfish, 4 ottos, 3 bronze cories, 2 young krib females, 1 badis badis, and 1 clown loach.
It is the angelfish that are giving me the trouble. I removed the massive threats to their fry quickly after they began getting aggressive. There were more kribs and the betta and another angelfish. Once they were gone, and it was just the angels and mostly catfish, they spawned. Only a small portion hatched, and days later they were all gone. They never reached the free-swimming stage. About a week later they spawned again. These eggs mostly fungused up and then I ASSUME the angels aborted the brood as most of the eggs were lost to fungus. What do I do next? I have the space to raise a brood on my own I think, and if not I can make the space. Any advice would be helpful. I'm new to angel breeding. Thanks

Old 12-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

get a 10 gallon tank fill with the water they were layed in. put 2 tsp of methain blue in.put a heater in 79 to 80. put a sponge filter in. lay an air stone on the bottom . turn over what ever they layed eggs on so the eggs are facing down towards the bubbles. 3 days later your eggs hatch. this is the short version so pm me if i can help. im shure andy will chime in soon and add his advice

Old 01-01-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob mccoy View Post
get a 10 gallon tank fill with the water they were layed in. put 2 tsp of methain blue in.put a heater in 79 to 80. put a sponge filter in. lay an air stone on the bottom . turn over what ever they layed eggs on so the eggs are facing down towards the bubbles. 3 days later your eggs hatch. this is the short version so pm me if i can help. im shure andy will chime in soon and add his advice
Only advice I would add to Bob's is to keep the other fish, ALL the other fish, out of the fry tank. No need for catfish as you should be doing this in a bare bottomed tank. Siphon any detritus out with a piece of clear airline tubing. It's simple! Feel free to PM me as well if you have questions and Bob's not available

As for breeding, it's best done with no other fish in the tank. Other fish are a distraction to a spawner and may account for why the second batch didn't hatch. The first batch probably got eaten by the catfish that night. Just my thoughts on the subject

Tags
angel, angelfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com