Discouraging pearl gouramis from breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a pair of pearl gouramis. Thought they were both females, but one turned colors last weeks. So guess i have a pair. Noticed and injury on the females mouth. Woke up to a bubble nest on surface. Broke it up and he started making another. Don't really want them to breed. Nowhere to keep the babies and also afraid he might injure her. Anything I can do or is it impossible to fight nature.

Have a pair of pearl gouramis. Thought they were both females, but one turned colors last weeks. So guess i have a pair. Noticed and injury on the females mouth. Woke up to a bubble nest on surface. Broke it up and he started making another. Don't really want them to breed. Nowhere to keep the babies and also afraid he might injure her. Anything I can do or is it impossible to fight nature.

The best to do is to either separate them or trade one for another of the opposite gender.
Next best is to increase water movement. If the water surface is stable enough to hold a bubblenest, you won't discourage spawning. Use either airstones or water pump(s) to keep the water surface agitated. This will help discourage spawning as well.
Lowering the water temp ( but keep in safe zone) can also discourage spawning.

Hope this helps (y)

So far water agitating is breaking it up. But he keeps trying.

Then try cooling his jets by cooling down the water. Temp has a big factor in desire to spawn. Do it slowly so as to not give your fish a case of Ich. no more than 1-2 degree(s) per day.

Home from work he is still going at it. Looks like she is helping too. And is real aggressive towards her. Wondering now if he would have killed two black neons. Have had no deaths in this tank for a few months and yesterday found two dead black neons with pristine water parameters

Well if the temperature trick didn't help, sounds like separation will be the only sure fire way of stopping this. I'd remove the male, not the female. The male may continue this behavior in hopes of another female coming along which doesn't solve your situation :(

The mysterious fish deaths can very possible be as a response to the male trying to defend his nest. Just another reason to remove the male.

Wish I had better news for ya :(

Back
Top Bottom