Discus experts here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattyfurg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I want to have a discus tank but I don't know where to start.
I know you have to have a group of 6 for them to be happy but I also had the Idea of just putting a pair into my 67 gallon and letting it be the growout tank for them. Then once they're juveniles I can sell some and keep 6? Is this a good idea or should I just go with buying 6?

pattyfurg said:
So I want to have a discus tank but I don't know where to start.
I know you have to have a group of 6 for them to be happy but I also had the Idea of just putting a pair into my 67 gallon and letting it be the growout tank for them. Then once they're juveniles I can sell some and keep 6? Is this a good idea or should I just go with buying 6?

I would suggest for you to do a lot research first about discus before you start a discus tank.

To answer your question, as a beginner, i would buy adult discus and start with a minimum of 5. It's harder to take care of juvenile discus. I would also only buy a pair from a reputable source. Raising fry is a lot harder than raising juveniles. I hope the more knowledgable members would chime in. Research, research and more research is what you need to do before you start.

-Roy

Lol thanks or your help :) iv researched heaps I just wanted to know what would be a better option. Iv gotten over $2000 saved just incase haha
My lfs has some juveniles but they have these brown spots on their noses and my tank hasn't finished cycling XD I just want to get all my facts before I get discus

Just in your opinion what types do you like?
I really want curipera discus but they're hard to find :/

pattyfurg said:
Lol thanks or your help :) iv researched heaps I just wanted to know what would be a better option. Iv gotten over $2000 saved just incase haha
My lfs has some juveniles but they have these brown spots on their noses and my tank hasn't finished cycling XD I just want to get all my facts before I get discus

Just in your opinion what types do you like?
I really want curipera discus but they're hard to find :/

I'd like to be able to take care of wild discus. I don't do RO/DI water and my tap's pH is 7.2. It's ok for tank bred discus though. It's better to have a stable pH level..

Last edited:
Yeah iv gotten all of my ph up and down but hopefully I won't have to use it because apparently it's really stressful :/

pattyfurg said:
Yeah iv gotten all of my ph up and down but hopefully I won't have to use it because apparently it's really stressful :/

What's your tap's pH? Does it change after 24hrs? It's better not to mess with the pH.

I tried to PM you the DISCUS website but your inbox is full.

roydooms said:
I tried to PM you the DISCUS website but your inbox is full.

I'll empty it now :)
Ill test my ph tap water when I get home haha

PM sent.

Bs6749 (Bryan) knows a lot about discus. PM him if you have any questions. Great guy.

I have never thought pH was an issue with discus, with the exception of breeding, and with tank bred discus, even that is not an issue unless you have an unusually high pH. When I started doing discus, it was in Omaha, Nebraska, where we had hard water and a pH in the high 7s. But the fish were local bred, and already acclimated to those conditions. I think what's more important is to make sure you have good water conditions and a temperature in the mid-80s. Good water conditions means good filtration and frequent water changes. In my humble opinion, a python connected to a laundry sink was always mandatory equipment. My biggest concern with discus was always internal parasites, so make sure you have some metranidazole-based medication handy.

roydooms said:
To answer your question, as a beginner, i would buy adult discus and start with a minimum of 5.

+1.

Growing out juvenile discus is not an easy job. Intact some juveniles just don't seem to grow much at all, or the colors and shape doesn't develop as you expected.

Adult discus do cost quite a bit more but it saves you a lot of work and you get to see the shape and color of the adult fish before you purchase.

If you do want to try growing out the discus yourself my advice would be to go for a bare bottom tank. Feed with good quality food about 3 to 4 times a day and regular (daily) water changes.

Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom