Discus fry growing great

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LostInFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm down to 2 babies now. I have already changed my babies from RO/DI water to straight tap water and they are doing great here's a pic of the lil guys. About the size of a pea. The Father was taken out early because of his aggressiveness towards the mother. After 2 weeks the babies would anger the mother when trying to eat. So I had to remove her to and when acclimating her back to tap water I noticed sores(dark spots) on her sides. 5 weeks later she looks amazing male is a Turquoise and the female is a Brilliant turquoise they should grow to be beautiful. Just thought I would post how they where doing.

Attachments

• image-1513039634.jpg
    image-1513039634.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 98
  • image-2586504205.jpg
    image-2586504205.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 99
  • image-1058642866.jpg
    image-1058642866.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 89
  • image-1727106881.jpg
    image-1727106881.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 93
nice looking discus! I'm still learning as I go. My PB is a pretty good size now. Maybe I can pick your brain on a few questions I have if you wouldn't mind.

umm, i typed a nice long reply.....i thing i posted it in the wrong area....brb lol

lol I dunno :D

Basically I just want to know the best setup and procedure for discus qt. what meds or whatever. I want to make sure I'm not bringing any problems home

lol I dunno :D

Basically I just want to know the best setup and procedure for discus qt. what meds or whatever. I want to make sure I'm not bringing any problems home

Well I just quarantine them for a few weeks or until they are eating good and no issues with them. They will be thin with a pinched look and not eating much if they are sick. My discus are pigs and will eat 24/7 so I'd they refuse food something's up. As far as Meds go it is a fish to fish basis really because it depends on the illness u are treating. Metronidazole works well for a lot of things but its best to feed it to them with food. As far a tank setup I go bare bottom with sponge filters and fluval canister. Hope that helps answer your question if not. Just ask again I enjoy my discus and I hope u can enjoy yours to.

thanks. I just generally want to rule out anything bringing them home. I am still new and admit I dont know everything when it comes to discus and it breaks my heart when they dont eat and just starve until they die, and not knowing why. it starts when they start hiding, so I just want to start at the beginning and just start with a healthy fish from the very beginning and start them from QT like I should be doing

Sick discus tend to look sick( color is dark, has a pinched look to it like u pinched it and it stayed that way, not eating ) discus new to a tank will prob just hide the first day or so but after that they should be out and visible (socializing ) with other fish. When buying a discus look for the round ones closest to a circle shape the better. There are pointed discus or triangle looking ones that will prob not grow to be a show stopper also always look at there gills to insure they are not damaged or disfigured good luck on your discus buy.

Yea I try to look at a discus head on and inspect their shape very closely. I'm close to getting one soon. The guy feed them and he ate well, he is active and looks well.

Back
Top Bottom