Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2005, 09:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to azn_fishy55
DIY CO2 Reactor Formula

I made a DIY CO2 Reactor from a soda bottle that hole about 20 oz. of water.How much sugar,yeast,and water should I add?

Old 08-23-2005, 09:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can do 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/8tsp baker's yeast and 1/4tsp baking soda in 16oz. water. I usually use Kroger's drinking water and heat a cup to boiling to dissolve the sugar in then add another cup of cold water before the yeast and soda. This is basicly Hagen's recipe. Don't use tap water as the clorine kills the yeast. Other people have much more complex recipes but this runs for 2-3 weeks and is pretty simple.

Old 08-26-2005, 08:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

And what about those more complex recepies? Do they last loger?
Old 08-27-2005, 11:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
I'm working on it . I was going to experiment a bit with it over the summer, but decided to wait for a while. I need to control the temperature of the water in the reactor. The easiest way for me to do that is a warm water bath, and it's easier to control the water temp when the room is colder.

Some things I'm going to try:

1. Amount of yeast vs. production
2. Amount of sugar vs. production
3. Amount of baking soda vs. production
4. Whether glucose or sucrose is better for production

I just went to a 3 day workshop at the University of Maryland in College Park for work. They make cultures, including yeast cultures, for a lot of Maryland's biotech companies. I was able to talk a bit about yeast with some of the students and directors there. It was pretty interesting, and lead to my questions on glucose and sucrose.

Of course, by the time I do my experiments, I may be well on my way to using compressed CO2. As much as I love the price of DIY CO2, it's proving to be more bother than it's worth. I will be running the experiments as soon as the weather cools down, although for time conerns I may wait until my winter break from school.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a natural Co2 system from Dennerle before, while I was still living in Germany.
They had a grey styrofoam box, that could be glued to the aquarium (adhesive strips). It was open towards the aquarium glass and had a little styrofoam top as well. That way it stayed on temperature of the aquarium. And in that grey color it wasn't actually that ugly.
I've been looking around here some, but couldn't find Dennerle.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
ive heard sourdough works as a "power thingy" for the yeast
Old 08-29-2005, 04:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use a DIY CO2 set up on my 55gl Planted tank. I replace my DIY CO2 after 4 weeks, but even when I replace it it isn't totally dead.

my standard disclaimer, is that I can only speak to my own experience, and I got all my info from other folks internet pages. That said...

My DIY set up is 4, 2-liter bottles. I change 2 of them every 2 weeks. To prepare the Yeast i take one pack of yeast and put it with 2 tablespoons of sugar in a 1 cup measuring cup filled with Tepid water (tepid should feel neither warm nor cold). I mix this completely, and set it aside for an hour. The yeast should be at room temperature before you start.

I then take 2, 2-liter bottles. In each bottle, I put 2 cups of sugar, 1 scoop chocolate muscle blast (Safeway brand protein drink), 1 tsp of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of dark molasses (Grandmas brand). I then fill the bottle with water to about 3-4 inches from the top, which is just below where the bottle begins to curve at the top. I mix this very well.

Then, I mix my cup of yeast again, and add half to each bottle. I let this sit; uncapped (open) overnight.

A bit more complex than just tossing in some sugar and yeast, but I have been using this formula for a few months with much success.

I would recomend at least 2 bottles, on an alternating schedule to keep CO2 production more even.

Tags
co2, diy, diy co2, reactor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com